Manage episode 231987662 series 2285741
DESCRIPTION: Brian talks with Dr. Steve Herrod (@herrod, Managing Director at General Catalyst @gcvp) about the transition from CTO to VC, the role of AI and Security in today’s startups, the impact the public cloud has on his evaluations, and tips for selecting the right companies and leaders.
SHOW SPONSOR LINKS:
- MongoDB Atlas - Automated cloud MongoDB service
- Visit mongodb.com/cloudcast to learn more. MongoDB Atlas handles all the costly database operations and admin tasks that you’d rather not spend time on, like security, high availability, data recovery, monitoring, and elastic scaling. Try MongoDB Atlas today!
- Datadog Homepage - Modern Monitoring and Analytics
- Try Datadog yourself by starting a free, 14-day trial today. Listeners of this podcast will also receive a free Datadog T-shirt
- Get 20% off VelocityConf passes using discount code CLOUD
CLOUD NEWS OF THE WEEK:
- Ford partners with Amazon to build cloud services for connected cars
- Ford invests $500M in Rivian; companies plan electric vehicle
- Electric truck start-up Rivian announces $700 million investment round led by Amazon
- Apple spends more than $30 million on Amazon's cloud every month, making it one of the biggest AWS customers
- Tinder’s move to Kubernetes
SHOW INTERVIEW LINKS:
Topic 1 - Welcome back to the show. It’s now been 6 years since your transition from VMware to the VC world. What are some of the lessons you’ve learned?
Topic 2 - When you were a CTO, you were building a comprehensive portfolio. How does that perspective change when you’re looking at a broad range of portfolio companies?
Topic 3 - Your companies tend to skew towards cybersecurity, where AI is going to play a significant role. How do you think about them from a technology perspective, and how much does the cloud’s resources for data modeling help or challenge them?
Topic 4 - What’s your perspective on the role of open source software for enabling your companies?
Topic 5 - Given your background, how much do you get involved in growing the engineering talent at your portfolio companies?
Topic 6 - Any tips for potential startups wanting to pitch high-level VCs?
441 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 32 mins duration .