Manage episode 246899182 series 1401612
We talk about Cal Newport's Digital Minimalism and how we can have a healthier relationship with technology.
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Skillshare: with over 27,000 courses in a wide range of different skills, Skillshare can help you take things to the next level. Get started with 2 free months of unlimited learning (including Thomas' Productivity Masterclass!) at Skillshare.com/geek.
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- Thomas’ Productivity course on Skillshare
- Digital Minimalism, by Cal Newport
- Deep Work, by Cal Newport
- Deep Work: How to Focus and Resist Distractions (Ep. 100)
- What It Takes to Open a Coffee Shop (Ep. 114)
- Should You Work with Your Friends? (Ep. 281)
- H3 Podcast on YouTube
- Joe Rogan's podcast
- How Music Works, by David Byrne
- Justin Gignac's Going Freelance course on Skillshare
- How to Break up with Your Phone, by Catherine Price
- How to Be More Like Leonardo da Vinci (Ep. 240)
- Martin's Photo Print Shop on INPRNT
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
You can also get a free copy of my book, 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less), by staying up to date with the College Info Geek newsletter.
- 0:05:19 - Our dependence on technology
- 0:28:24 - Sponsor: Skillshare (Learning new skills)
- 0:30:31 - Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:32:53 - Having periods of solitude
- 0:56:37 - Taking breaks from social media
- 1:25:30 - Conclusion