Manage episode 243919889 series 1401612
Budgeting isn't very fun, but that doesn't mean you have to give up on saving money. Here are a few ways to keep your bank account happy without a budget.
This week’s episode is sponsored by:
- Brilliant: Accelerate your learning in math, science, and computer science. Start learning for free at Brilliant.org/CollegeInfoGeek — and if you’re one of the first 200 people to use this link, you’ll also get 20% off your subscription.
Things mentioned in this episode:
- How to Budget Your Money Without Cutting Coffee (Ep. 174)
- A Crash Course on How to Start Investing (Even If You’re in Debt) (Ep. 168)
- When to Invest in New Gear (Ep. 276)
- 5 Questions: Keeping Track of Bills, Coasting, and Moving to a New City (Ep. 275)
- Thomas' budget modeler
- Listen Money Matters
- Jamie Oliver's Knife Skills videon on YouTube
- Kitchen Confidential, by Anthony Bourdain
- LivingBobby's Living on $1 a day in New York City video on YouTube
- Nathaniel Drew's I Ate For $1 a Day in Mexico City video on YouTube
Want more cool stuff? You can find all sorts of great tools at my Resources page.
You can also get a free copy of my book, 10 Steps to Earning Awesome Grades (While Studying Less), by staying up to date with the College Info Geek newsletter.
- 0:04:00 - Introduction
- 0:07:14 - Eating and drinking simply
- 0:22:59 - Sponsor: Brilliant (Learning problem-solving skills)
- 0:25:14 - Paying attention to your subscriptions and memberships
- 0:32:18 - Measuring how much you're spending
- 0:46:14 - Waiting 30 days before deciding to make a big purchase
- 0:52:20 - Don't immediately invest too much into a new hobby
- 0:59:09 - Anecdotes and banter
- 1:07:00 - Conclusion