The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast | MedEd | FOAMed | Internist | Hospitalist | Primary Care | Family Medicine
#67: Chronic Kidney Disease Pearls with @kidney_boy, Joel Topf
Manage episode 191396290 series 1345893
Take control of chronic kidney disease with tools, and tips from @kidney_boy, Joel Topf, MD Salt Whisperer and Chief of Nephrology at Kashlak Memorial Hospital. Learn which equation is best for eGFR, how to counsel patients about progression/prognosis, how to monitor patients in CKD, and who needs a referral to Nephrology. Special thanks to Annie Medina, and Justin Berk for writing/producing this show and to physician-artist, Kate Grant for her lovely and hilarious artwork (more at paintscientific.com).
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast
- 00:00 Intro
- 03:13 Pick of the weeks
- 08:49 Clinical Case
- 09:36 How to explain CKD to patients
- 12:16 Loss of GFR with age
- 13:22 Which equation should be used to estimate GFR
- 18:05 Creatinine clearance from 24 hour urine collection
- 22:25 Initial workup upon diagnosis of CKD
- 25:40 Interpreting tests for proteinuria
- 26:52 Staging and prognosis in CKD
- 32:00 Completing the initial workup for CKD
- 33:52 Who needs a referral to nephrology?
- 35:53 What labs to check in CKD and a discussion of secondary hyperparathyroidism
- 40:32 Take home points
- 42:30 Outro
Tags: chronic, kidney, disease, nephrology, renal, glomerular, filtration, crcl, gfr, creatinine, prognosis, monitoring, iron, pth, proteinuria, hypertension, nephropathy, diabetes, albumin, protein, anemia, hyperparathyroidism, assistant, care, education, doctor, family, foam, foamed, health, hospitalist, hospital, internal, internist, nurse, meded, medicine, medical, primary, physician, resident, student
73 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 55 mins duration .