The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast | MedEd | FOAMed | Internist | Hospitalist | Primary Care | Family Medicine
#69: CKD Prescribing Do’s and Dont’s with @kidney_boy, Joel Topf
This series is archived ("Redirect loop" status)Please note series archiving is a new, experimental, feature of Player FM with the aim of helping users understand how we fetch series and report on any issues.
When? This feed was archived on July 11, 2018 01:02 (). Last successful fetch was on July 09, 2018 07:20 ()
Why? Redirect loop status. We detected 2 or more feeds redirecting to each other.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 192370544 series 1345893
Making all your nephrology dreams come true with part 2 of our interview with @kidney_boy, Joel Topf, MD Salt Whisperer and Chief of Nephrology at Kashlak Memorial Hospital. Flush away your bad prescribing habits when it comes to nephrotoxic drugs in this fast paced run down of the medications which must stay on or off Santa’s naughty-list, backed up with a sack full of memorable research studies. Special thanks to Annie Medina, Justin Berk and Kate Grant for writing/producing this show and to physician artist, Kate Grant for her lovely/hilarious artwork (more at paintscientific.com).
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast
- 00:00 Intro
- 03:00 Which medications should we exercise caution over in CKD?
- 03:31 Bactrim (Trimethoprim+Sulfamethoxazole)
- 07:00 NSAIDS
- 08:29 NSAIDS and the ‘Precision’ Trial NEJM 2016 looking at cardiovascular safety
- 12:50 The Male Physician Study JAMA 2001
- 13:50 Discussion about Nurses Health Study and use of analgesia, and CKD
- 15:15 Acute Interstitial Nephritis, Beta Lactam Antibiotics, and the risk of Acute kidney injury +/- CKD with Proton Pump Inhibitors
- 18:20 Advice for co-prescribing NSAIDS,ACE inhibitors and diuretics
- 20:39 Creatinine levels and ACE/ARB prescribing. How High can you go?
- 24:55 Facebook question from listener: measures to reduce proteinuria in hypertensive patients
- 27:20 Empagliflozin and renal protection in diabetic patients
- 32:00 Contrast Induced Nephropathy, the AMACING trial 2016.
- 38:00 Take Home Points
- 39:57 Outro
Tags: chronic, kidney, disease, nephrology, renal, glomerular, filtration, crcl, gfr, creatinine, medications, pharmacology, bactrim, nsaids, ace-i, contrast, metformin, empagliflozin, nephropathy, care, education, doctor, family, foam, foamed, health, hospitalist, hospital, internal, internist, nurse, meded, medicine, medical, primary, physician, resident, student
106 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 56 mins duration .