The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast | MedEd | FOAMed | Internist | Hospitalist | Primary Care | Family Medicine
#103: Train Your Brain: Mapping out your road to expertise
Manage episode 212106622 series 1345893
Expert diagnostician, Dr. Gurpreet Dhaliwal, again joins The Curbsiders to dive deeper into the topic of clinical expertise. Topics include, and are mainly focused on, Dr. Dhaliwal’s “training regimen:” feedback, simulation, quizzing, learning from consultants, and how to read the medical literature as a clinician. While we found this episode to be incredibly useful (and entertaining to record), don’t let our bias sway your opinion! In fact, just listen to the episode and listen for practical advise on how to improve your own clinical acumen.
Dr Brigham’s comment: Be forewarned, much of what we talk about is seemingly common sense, but, upon listening to the episode many times, I realize that we have, over time, overly complicated the fundamentals of expertise. I’m just as guilty as the next physician.
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast
- Written and produced by: Stuart Brigham MD
- Hosts: Stuart Brigham MD, Paul Williams MD, Matthew Watto MD
- Guest: Gurpreet Dhaliwal MD
- Images by: Beth Garbitelli
- Edited by: Matthew Watto MD
- 00:00 Disclaimer, Intro
- 02:25 Guest Bio
- 03:57 Pun
- 04:25 Dr. Dhaliwal
- 05:57 Pick of the Week - Move, “Jiro Dreams of Sushi”
- 08:00 Pick of the Week - Podcast, “Unspooled”
- 09:06 Pick of the Week - Water Putty, “Durham’s Rock Hard Water Putty”
- 10:20 “Clinical Case” Introduction
- 12:00 Developing expertise, introduction
- 15:50 Developing a patient log
- 21:30 Asking the wrong question leads to the wrong answer
- 23:35 Telling a colleague they were wrong
- 26:00 Five to one ratio
- 28:58 Understanding the why
- 33:57 Simulation in practice
- 37:35 Quote on learning… Just listen.
- 41:00 Quizzing and consolidating memory
- 44:24 Reading the literature as a clinician
- 50:10 Bottom line
- 57:10 Outro
Tags: clinical, reasoning, diagnosis, diagnostician, accuracy, Osler, misdiagnosis, train, brain, care, test, self, Dhaliwal, Gurpreet, Curbsiders, podcast, patients, cats, funny, educational, inspirational, educator, school, free, doctor, education, family, foam, foamed, health, hospitalist, hospital, internal, internist, meded, medical, medicine, nurse, practitioner, professional, primary, physician, physician assistant, resident, student
117 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 57 mins duration .