The Curbsiders Internal Medicine Podcast | MedEd | FOAMed | Internist | Hospitalist | Primary Care | Family Medicine
#97: Curbside Journal Club: Hotcakes and Hot Takes May 2018
Manage episode 206946980 series 1345893
Keep current with this monthly journal club covering landmark articles through May 2018, plus rapid fire hot takes from the medical literature and health news. We rate each article according to a highly scientific ‘Hotcakes’ scale to highlight what practice-changing knowledge we’ll take to work this month. Topics: Hypertension, blood pressure monitoring, prostate cancer screening, Intimate Partner Violence screening, alcohol is killing you, new diabetes drugs and mortality, DPP-4 inhibitors and IBD risk, NT-proBNP-guided therapy vs usual care, effect of teaching status on mortality, and more! If you’re a listener and have something interesting for us to discuss, please send it our way.
Join our mailing list to receive a PDF copy of our show notes every Monday. Rate us on iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. We are also on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter: @thecurbsiders.
- Written and produced by: Christopher J Chiu MD, Sarah Phoebe Roberts MPH
- Hosts: Christopher J Chiu MD, Stuart Brigham MD, Paul Williams MD, and Matthew Watto MD
- Editor: Matthew Watto MD
- 00:00 The Curbsiders need a web master
- 00:50 Disclaimer
- 01:25 Intro to the format
- 03:25 Ambulatory BP monitoring and mortality
- 09:08 Blood pressure treatment strategies: CVD risk score vs systolic BP targets
- 14:14 Repeated BP measurements important at office visits and future directions of BP management
- 21:25 Hot takes in order of appearance: Prostate cancer screening, intimate partner violence, alcohol, DPP4 inhibitors mortality and IBD, teaching status and mortality in US hospitals, 5 lifestyle factors that may add to life expectancy, NT pro-BNP, BNP and mortality
- 38:12 Outro
Tags: Hypertension, blood, pressure, monitoring, cuff, automatic, ambulatory, prostate, cancer, screening, Intimate, Partner, Violence, alcohol, mortality, DPP4, sglt2, glp1, IBD, risk, BNP, teaching, assistant, care, doctor, education, family, FOAMim, FOAMed, health, hospitalist, hospital, internal, internist, meded, medical, medicine, nurse, practitioner, professional, primary, physician, resident, student
118 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 57 mins duration .