Manage episode 266348869 series 1345893
Our very first Cribsiders/Curbsiders crossover episode! Learn about cystic fibrosis care across the lifespan. We dive into the diagnosis of CF (don’t lick your patients!), management of pulmonary and extrapulmonary complications, and the future of CF. You’ll also get tips on CF in adolescents and young adults, as well as recognizing undiagnosed CF in older patients. Our guest, Dr. Whittney Warren, is a pulmonary critical care doctor and the medical director of the Adult Cystic Fibrosis clinic in an academic hospital in Texas. Show notes: https:/www.thecribsiders.com/.
- Writer, Producer, Infographic, CME Questions: Clara Mao
- Cover Art: Christopher Chiu MD
- Hosts: Justin Berk MD, Christopher Chiu MD, and Matthew Watto MD
- Editor: Justin Berk MD; Clair Morgan of nodderly.com
- Guest: Whittney Warren DO
- Intro / Disclaimer 0:00
- Guest bio 2:25
- Guest one-liner, picks of the week 3:15
- Explaining CF to patients, life expectancy 7:00
- Types of CF mutations and phenotypes 11:50
- Presentation of CF in older patients 15:20
- Screening and diagnosis 16:40
- PFTs and airway clearance 25:20
- Nutrition and the “CF diet” 29:10
- CF exacerbations and antibiotic selection 32:25
- Extrapulmonary manifestations 39:35
- Transition of care for CF adolescents (alcohol, exercise, sex) 43:50
- CFTR modulator therapy 51:35
- Lung transplantation 54:45
Listeners will develop a systematic approach towards long-term management and acute exacerbations of cystic fibrosis.
After listening to this episode listeners will…
- Explain the pathophysiology underlying cystic fibrosis.
- Identify maintenance therapies that optimize pulmonary function and nutritional status in patients with cystic fibrosis.
- Choose evidence-based practices in the management of cystic fibrosis-associated pulmonary exacerbations.
- Recognize common extrapulmonary complications of cystic fibrosis in children and adults.
- Describe available disease-modifying agents in cystic fibrosis care.
Dr. Warren reports no relevant financial disclosures. The Cribsiders report no relevant financial disclosures.
Warren W, Mao C, Watto MF, Chiu C, Berk J. “Cystic Fibrosis Licked-ty Split with Dr. Whittney Warren”. The Cribsiders Pediatric Podcast. https:/www.thecribsiders.com/ Original Air Date: July 6, 2020.