Manage episode 216514896 series 1345893
Master the management of gout with tips from expert, Tuhina Neogi MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine at Boston University School of Medicine. Topics include: how to initiate and titrate urate lowering therapy, guidelines controversy over uric acid targets, colchicine & NSAIDS for anti-inflammatory prophylaxis, uricosuric agents, febuxostat, HLA B5801, use of uric acid levels in the acute setting and more random gout facts.
Full show notes available at http://thecurbsiders.com/podcast. Join our mailing list and receive a PDF copy of our show notes every Monday. Rate us on iTunes, recommend a guest or topic and give feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Written and produced by: Matthew Watto MD
- Hosts: Paul Williams MD, Stuart Brigham MD, Matthew Watto MD
- Guest: Tuhina Neogi MD, PhD
- 00:00 Intro and guest bio
- 01:30 Allopurinol initiation and titration
- 07:10 Uricosuric therapy
- 09:10 Controversy over uric acid targets for gout
- 17:40 Parachutes and randomized controlled trials
- 19:15 Colchicine or NSAIDS for prophylaxis
- 23:20 Who needs febuxostat?
- 26:20 When to refer for gout, HLA B5801, and checking uric acid levels in the acute setting
- 33:29 Take home points
- 36:15 Outro
Tags: allopurinol, uric, urate, acid, level, therapy, management, gout, flare, crystal, arthritis, titration, probenecid, febuxostat, target, acr, acp, guidelines, nsaids, colchicine, hla b5801, septic, rheumatology, assistant, care, doctor, education, family, FOAM, FOAMim, FOAMed, health, hospitalist, hospital, internal, internist, meded, medical, medicine, nurse, practitioner, professional, primary, physician, resident, student
163 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 59 mins duration .