Why You Keep Getting Sinus Infections, Colds, Urinary Tract Infections, And Other Recurrent Infections with Dr. Elizabeth Boham
Manage episode 262002190 series 2312028
Many of us wonder why we keep getting sick and repeatedly suffer from recurrent infections—whether it be sinus infections, ear infections, urinary tract infections, cold and flu, or a range of other infections. While conventional medicine typically treats these infections with antibiotics, Functional Medicine digs deeper to determine the cause of the infection and what can be done to eliminate it.
In this mini-episode, Dr. Hyman is joined by Dr. Elizabeth Boham to discuss the Functional Medicine approach to breaking the cycle of recurrent infections and how to make ourselves more immune resilient.
Elizabeth Boham is a physician and nutritionist who practices functional medicine at The UltraWellness Center in Lenox, MA. Through her practice and lecturing she has helped thousands of people achieve their goals of optimum health and wellness. She witnesses the power of nutrition every day in her practice and is committed to training other physicians to utilize nutrition in healing. Dr. Boham has contributed to many articles and wrote the latest chapter on Obesity for the Rankel Textbook of Family Medicine. She is part of the faculty of the Institute for Functional Medicine and has been featured on the Dr. Oz show and in a variety of publications and media including Huffington Post, The Chalkboard Magazine, and Experience Life. Her DVD Breast Wellness: Tools to Prevent and Heal from Breast Cancer explores the functional medicine approach to keeping your breasts and whole body well.
In this episode, Dr. Hyman and Dr. Boham discuss:
- Strengthening our immune system to break the cycle of recurrent infections.
- How antibiotics can disrupt the balance of bugs in our microbiome, affecting the immune system, and leading to a cycle of infections.
- A 10-year old patient Dr. Boham treated who was consistently getting sick from cold and flu.
- Dairy as a common cause of congestion and recurrent ear infections.
- Boosting the immune system with zinc and vitamin C.
- How heavy metals, such as lead, interrupt gut function and affect the immune system.
- Using probiotics and supplements to personalize treatment for recurrent infections.
- Supporting the detoxification system to improve the immune system.
- Treating recurrent bladder infections.
- Common causes of urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Breaking the cycle of recurrent bladder infections by drinking a lot of water, urinating frequently, wiping from front to back, wearing cotton underwear, and urinating after sex as well as with probiotics, cranberry, D-mannose, and herbs.
- Rejuvenating the immune system with sleep, exercise, stress reduction, a whole foods diet, getting off sugar, and eliminating ultra-processed foods.
For more information visit drhyman.com/uwc
This episode is sponsored by AirDoctor. We need clean air not only to live but to create vibrant health and protect ourselves and loved ones from toxin exposure and disease. Learn more about the AirDoctor Professional Air Purifier system at a special price at www.drhyman.com/filter
“Five Tips for Building a Better Immune System”
“5 Steps to Break the Cycle of Chronic Urinary Tract Infections”
“Getting to the Root | Episode 3 | Supporting the Immune System”
“Top 5 Foods to Support Your Immune System”
“The Wrong Gut Bugs Can Make You Fat and Sick (and How to Fix Them)”
“How To Feed Your Gut”
“Are You Still Consuming Dairy?”
“Stuffy Nose, Headaches, and Honey”
“Heartburn and Candida: What is Your Gut Trying to Tell You?”
“Here’s the Downside of Antibiotics Your Doctor Might Not Tell You”
“A Functional Medicine Approach to COVID-19”
Dr. Hyman’s 10 Day Reset
Dr. Hyman’s 10 Day Reset free resource guide
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.