Manage episode 266354307 series 2596026
Guest: Lance Whittaker
Sports Broadcaster and Commentator
In this episode, Lance discusses his decades of experience in sports broadcasting. He speaks about landing his dream job as a sports journalist and the various changes in sports broadcasting since he started his career in 1984. He also shares his highest and lowest moments covering Caribbean in the several Olympic Games.
Lance also discussed:
- His respect for fellow commentator Hubert Lawrence and what it is like working with him over the years.
- How radio prepared him as a sports commentator to transition into television and how his passion for sports has fuelled his success as a broadcaster.
- The importance of maintaining your edge in a now competitive broadcasting landscape.
Other topics discussed are:
The role of SportsMax in changing the face of sports broadcasting regionally and working with broadcasters such as Simon Crosskill and Alexis Nunes.
- His views on the future of track and field in Jamaica and the Caribbean and Jamaica’s prospects in track along with the potential of success in field events.
- The need for investment in local horse-racing locally
- The decline of the Cricket West Indies and the popularity of the sport among youth regionally
Check out our website: www.thedrivephase.com
You can listen to The Drive Phase on any podcast directory. Here are a few:
Feel free to follow us on Social Media
Facebook: The Drive Phase