Manage episode 230519739 series 2498254
Recorded 3rd March 2019
The Tucson Mac User Group rounded up a posse of MyMac contributors and sent them to take over the show... I am joined by Bob Wood, Curt Blanchard, David Acklam and Roger Harmon to take a ramble around the stories that caught our attention over the last week or so, including the Apple Shareholder Meeting, Tim Cook making his position on privacy pretty clear to all, hacking tools available for $100 and a daft smartphone/cuff/watch thing... With 5 of us on the line I think we pulled the string a bit tight and in places the bandwidth was struggling so apologies for the occasional distorted audio.
GIVEAWAYS & OFFERS
- Listeners of this show can claim $10 off purchases of Luminar and/or Aurora HD 2019 use the coupon code EssentialApple at checkout for your extra discount!
- Get Photolemur 2 free by helping this YouTube video to 100,000 views.
On this week’s show:
- The Tucson MUG Posse
- Apple investors debate political diversity at annual shareholder meeting: CEO Tim Cook takes questions from investors about privacy, politics and new products – CNet
- Apple CEO Tim Cook hit out at companies like Facebook again: Anything that collects personal data and uses it against customers ‘should not exist’ – Business Insider
- Tim Cook Talks Privacy and Health in Interview – The Mac Observer
- The old guard of Mac indy apps has thrived for more than 25 years – Macworld
- Vinyl and CDs now more popular than iTunes music downloads, new data shows – 9to5 Mac
- Nubia's Alpha watch phone is the most ridiculous gadget at MWC 2019 – Mashable
- Nubia’s new wearable puts a 4-inch flexible smartphone on your wrist – The Verge
- EU copyright rules threaten the Internet creators – BBC News
- Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella Echos Tim Cook on Privacy – The Mac Observer
- iPhone and Android hacking tool used by FBI and DHS on sale on eBay for as little as $100 – 9to5 Mac
- EFF launches ‘Fix It Already’ initiative to push Apple and other tech companies for change– 9to5 Mac
- Fix It Already – EFF
- Xfinity Mobile PINs were left as '0000' by default – Engadget
Nemo’s Hardware Store
- No hardware store this week John is otherwise engaged
Essential Apple Recommended Services:
- Ghostery - protect yourself from trackers, scripts and ads while browsing.
- 33mail.com – Never give out your real email address online again.
- Sudo – Get up to 9 “avatars” with email addresses, phone numbers and more to mask your online identity. Free for the first year and priced from $0.99 US / £2.50 UK per month thereafter...
- ProtonMail – End to end encrypted, open source, based in Switzerland. Prices start from FREE... what more can you ask?
- ProtonVPN – a VPN to go with it perhaps? Prices also starting from nothing!
- Fake Name Generator – So much more than names! Create whole identities (for free) with all the information you could ever need.
- Wire – Free for personal use, open source and end to end encryted messenger and VoIP.
- Pinecast – a fabulous podcast hosting service with costs that start from nothing.
Essential Apple is not affiliated with or paid to promote any of these services... We recommend services that we use ourselves and feel are either unique or outstanding in their field, or in some cases are just the best value for money in our opinion.
Social Media and Slack
You can follow us on:
Twitter / Slack / EssentialApple.com / Spotify / Soundcloud / YouTube / Facebook / Pinecast
- Also a big SHOUT OUT to the members of the Slack room without whom we wouldn't have half the stories we actually do – we thank you all for your contributions and engagement.
- You can always help us out with a few pennies by using our Amazon Affiliate Link so we get a tiny kickback on anything you buy after using it.
- If you really like the show that much and would like to make a regular donation then please consider joining our Patreon or using the Pinecast Tips Jar (which accepts one off or regular donations)
- And a HUGE thank you to the patrons who already do.
This podcast is powered by Pinecast.
185 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 76 mins duration .