Manage episode 185663582 series 1535149
Using the metaphor of a World Explorer, Monica takes you inside her hands-on, gamified playshop to explore the beauty, awe, marvels, and dangers of the seven levels of successful gamification. You'll learn how to plan for your journey and pack wisely to make every item count.
This week to get started we explore two of the seven continents on our journey, and begin with business objectives and who is playing our game (our learners).
Level 1: Urban Commander – Why are we playing?
Starting your gamification journey without knowing your overall business objectives will take you on a road to nowhere. Get agreement on what the real business objectives are. Why are we playing?
Beware of Urban Dangers:
- Don't try to fix a broken product or service with gamification
- Don’t start your gamification journey without knowing your overall business objectives – you’ll be on the road to nowhere.
- Don’t forget to focus on the players – Ask… ‘What’s in it for them?
Level 2: Bonjour Mon Cher –Who are your players?
Who is the game for: the gluten intolerant, bourbon connoisseurs, or perhaps people who race bikes competitively? When defining your player, keep in mind age, gender, interests and skill levels. Define your target user group, making sure to identify all your players.
Pardon, non parlez Francais. Parlez vous Anglais? (Try to speak their language) —Beware of Paris Dangers:
- Don’t forget: A game’s primary function is to entertain the player, and it is your job to create a ‘game’ that does so—are your players going to enjoy playing your ‘game’?
- Don’t think of the player as your opponent—find ways to help them win
- Don’t assume your players want things a certain way—remember your tendency for self-hugging, because you like things a certain way, you tend to believe that others also will
This handy tool you are about to use is a genuine hidden treasure of useful information about what you should pack and why on your journey into the realm of gamification.
About Your Host: A gamification speaker and designer, Monica Cornetti is rated as the #1 Gamification Guru in the world by UK-based Leaderboarded. She hosts a weekly Gamification Talk Radio program, and is author of the book Totally Awesome Training Activity Guide: Put Gamification to Work for You. Monica’s niche is gamification techniques that can be used within the framework of corporate talent development. Connect with Monica Twitter @monicacornetti. Website: www.monicacornetti.com and www.sententiagames.com
87 episodes available. A new episode about every 23 days averaging 32 mins duration .