Manage episode 295894118 series 3420
We gave away two copies of Genealogical Publishing Company’s Russia Genealogy Research at a glance reference guide and announced the winners.
News You Can Use and Share
- The Genealogy Guys Podcast is one of Family Tree Magazine's 101 Best Websites 2021. See full list at https://www.familytreemagazine.com/best-genealogy-websites/.
- MyHeritage announced its new Photo Repair tool.
- The FamilySearch Family History Library is reopening 6 July 2021.
- The Society of Genealogists announces that negotiations for a new home are underway.
- 1871 Irish Census transcriptions for the Roman Catholic parish of Drumconrath are now online at http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635150#page/5/mode/1up.
- The Early British Census project is now online at http://ebc.byu.edu.
- A new webpage has been launched for the Maps for Local History at the National Library of Scotland at https://maps.nls.uk/communities/local-history/.
- NARA's National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) has a backlog of 500,000 outstanding records inquiries. It is estimated that it will take 18-24 months to resolve the backlog.
- The British Library and Findmypast have announced the renewal of their long-term partnership to digitize the British Newspaper Archive and make it available online.
- Findmypast has added new collections or new records to: Middlesex Baptisms; Carmarthenshire, Wales, Parish Records; Scotland Roman Catholic Parish Registers; Yorkshire Monumental Inscriptions; England Roman Catholic Parish Registers; and Crime, Prisons & Punishment records and mugshots.
- More than 400,000 naturalization records for the Bronx and Queens, New York, will become available online as part of a new federally-funded project.
- FamilySearch International announced the release of the FamilySearch GEDCOM 7.0 standard. The new data standard will accommodate media and other data in addition to text. Developers will certainly be busy programming to implement the new GEDCOM standard.
- Drew recaps the vast new and expanded collections at FamilySearch.
DNA Segment with Diahan Southard
Drew discusses working with distant matches with Diahan.
- Jean congratulated us on our inclusion in Family Tree Magazine’s 101 Best Genealogy Websites. She also shared that she had success with using the old Ancestry message boards to locate a grandfather's cousin.
- Donna Moughty won one of the Russia Genealogy Research guides and it gave her the incentive to restart her research into her grandfather who was born in what now is Ukraine. She also has a few openings for her Ireland research trips this October. Learn more at https://www.irishfamilyroots.com/ or email her at email@example.com.
- Graeme wrote about the discovery of 215 unmarked graves on the property of a residential school in Canada for indigenous children. He asked Drew for what processes of investigating and repatriating the children’s remains can be used.
- Tom wrote about his DNA research for his wife’s biological grandfather.
Thank you to all our Patreon supporting members for their support. Your Patreon support helps us improve our technology and provide even more podcast content to you! You can join us for as little as $1 a month or as much as you’d like to contribute. Visit https://www.patreon.com/genealogyguys to get started.
Let us hear from you at firstname.lastname@example.org.
George and Drew are available for virtual presentations for your local society. Contact us at email@example.com.