Manage episode 294635575 series 1728049
In this episode of GoGreenfields, River and Terran learn along with their viewers when they welcome Chef Charmaine back to their home.
Welcome, Chef Charmaine!
Chef Charmaine is an authority on healthy living and gastronomy. She holds a PhD in Health Education with an emphasis in pediatric preventative health, and lives her work. On this episode of GoGreenfields, Chef Charmaine teaches River and Terran a bit about the science of Gastronomy. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines Gastronomy as “the art or science of good eating”. The word is actually derived from two ancient greek words meaning “stomach” and “rule”.
What is Gastronomy?
Generally speaking, Gastronomy is the study of food, how it is influenced by- and how it influences culture. Furthermore, it is the art of preparing good food that appeals to the senses— It looks good, smells good, and tastes fantastic!
Raw Lemony Cheesecake Crust Ingredients
- ¼ C packed soft pitted Medjool dates
- 1 C dry shredded coconut
- 1 C macadamia nuts
- Place dry coconut, macadamia nuts and salt in a food process outfitted with the “S” blade and process to a coarse meal.
- Add dates and process again. Be careful not to over process. Take out a piece and pinch it between your fingers, if it sticks together it is finished.
- Press into a springform pan or tartlet pan lined with parchment paper.
- 1 tsp agar agar powder
- 1 C water
- 1 ½ C agave, light
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 2 C soaked cashews
- 6 Tbsp Irish moss paste*
- ¼ C coconut oil, liquefied
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Pinch of salt
- Simmer agar agar powder in 1 cup water and stir constantly. Mixture should be clear and transparent.
- Remove from heat and allow the agar agar to cool for a few minutes while preparing the remaining ingredients for the filling.
- Place the lemon juice, agave, cashews, and coconut milk in a blender and process until smooth.
- Add Irish moss gel, cooked and cooled agar agar, coconut oil, lemon zest, turmeric, and salt, and blend again until smooth.
- Pour over the crust and allow to set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours. (Lift the pan and drop gently to diffuse bubbles).
- 3 C Blackberries
- 1 Tbsp Irish moss paste
- Honey (to taste)
- Place 3 cups of blackberries into your blender and blend well. Strain the mixture through your strainer to separate the tiny seeds. You might have to stir the mixture to move the seeds aside and help the liquid to pass through the strainer. Add just a little honey or liquid sweetener to taste and 1 T. Irish moss to thicken, process in a blender. Pour in a container and set aside.
*Irish Moss is a sea vegetable that can be used as a thickener without heating. To make Irish Moss gel or paste, soak Irish Moss for about 8 hours. Rinse it very well and soak again. Continue this procedure until Irish Moss is clean and nearly transparent. Once ready, place Irish Moss in blender and blend with just enough water to make a thick paste. Place about 2 Tbsp. of the paste into ice cube trays. Freeze and then place into an airtight container to store safely for several months. Be sure to label it!
If you don’t want to make your own Irish Moss Paste, you can buy some here.
We strongly recommend that you do just that, and be sure to tag us in your social media posts of the outcome. If you have a share-worthy gastronomy-inspired recipe, share that with us too!
- Facebook: @gogreenfieldspodcast
- Twitter: @GoGreenfields
- Instagram: @gogreenfieldsshow
- Snapchat: GoGreenfields
- TikTok: GoGreenfields
Like and share with Chef Charmaine on Social:
Eat More Rainbows – https://www.facebook.com/eatmorerainbows
Chef Charmaine on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/charmainevierra/For more great content from the GoGreenfields team, follow us!
This episode is brought to you by:
Chef Charmaine's Book — Eat More Rainbows!
Chef Charmaine — Certified Health Coach and Founder
Farmer’s Juice — Stop Buying Overpriced Juice. Organic is better!
Doc Parsley’s Sleep Remedy — Get the Best Sleep of Your Life!
Thrive Market — Better for People and for the Planet!
Fresh-Pressed Olive Oil Club — The Freshest, Most Flavorful Artisanal Olive Oil You’ll Ever Taste
Dessert Farms Camel Milk — 100% Raw and Natural Source of Calcium and Vitamin B1
Magic Spoon — Delicious and Nutritious, High-Protein Cereal! (use coupon code GOGREENFIELDS)
Wake Up Foods — Good Food for a Good Morning!