Manage episode 234155629 series 1863886
When we talk about “heroic” medical interventions, we mean the high-potency, high-risk (and potentially high-reward) tools that define conventional medicine. Pharmaceuticals, surgeries, cutting-edge experimental procedures – that kind of thing. While these treatments tend to get all the credit, they depend for a large part of their success on unglamorous, workaday support. A well-nourished person is more likely to survive and respond well to intense treatment. So is one who is well-slept and has the support of a caring community. A recent experience with an end-of-life client case brought this home for us.
Skillful care can be the difference between a successful experimental treatment case and one that goes poorly. Herbalism is like this! When we work with clients undergoing palliative care or those in hospice, our intention with herbs is not to “cure”. Instead, it’s to help become more resilient, build endurance, and enable the body to cope with the stress of the illness itself and the harsh treatments conventional medicine offers. This complementary approach brings the best of both worlds.
Sometimes, heroic medical interventions really are necessary. If so, it doesn’t mean herbs are out of the question! Listen to this episode for our thoughts on how and why to include holistic herbalism even in serious cases.
Mentioned in this podcast:
- Emergent Responder – Katja’s deep dive into post-disaster and austere herbalism, first aid & long-term care, and emergency clinic management.
- How To Choose The Right Herbs for Sleep
- Three Sleep Strategies especially for when it’s the going to bed part that’s giving you trouble.
- Top 7 Herbs for Nutritionists & Dietitians – this episode highlights our favorite nutritive & digestive herbs. These can help in palliative care situations too!
- Anti-Inflammatory Herbs Beyond Turmeric – many herbs have anti-inflammatory effects, and these are valuable in almost all cases of chronic illness. Expand your horizons in this episode!
If you’re a regular listener, by now you’ve heard us talk about our podcast supporters – and maybe you’re wondering how to become one, yourself! Well, let me make it easy for you – all you need to do is click this link to support us at $5/month, or this one to support us at $10/month. At either level you’ll get immediate access to our weekly supporters video series. These exclusive videos come out every week and are only for our supporters. So if you’d like to help us keep our podcast, free clinics, scholarships, and other projects going strong, we’d very much appreciate it! 🌻