Manage episode 273114916 series 2761936
To mark the milestone of reaching The HR Uprising Podcast Episode 75 and over 50,000 downloads, Lucinda is in conversation with a very special guest to discuss HR & The Joy of Work.
Bruce Daisley is the former VP of Twitter (Europe), and a best-selling author and technology leader, who has dedicated himself to improving workplace culture. Bruce discusses his outlook upon culture and why it matters. Furthermore, he talks about his incredible book, 'The Joy Of Work: 30 Ways To Fall In Love With Your Job Again'
- Certainly, we can create good workplaces for ourselves, and we can all be part of this solution. The power to effect change is in our hands.
- HR is a vital method of remaining in touch with the heartbeat of any organisation. Indeed, it allows us to understand the pulse and psychology of the force that keeps our organisations thriving.
- The best organisations thrive on decisions that affect change. Furthermore, they create culture intentionally, and the end result is that they become more profitable, and the people there want to do more.
- The great leaders are the ones who allow us to be honest - who provide that level of “psychological safety”. Without doubt, this is a critical component in learning, providing an instant feedback loop.
- Tough decisions have to be made for each business, from time to time. Certainly, the best HR professionals allow us to make these decisions and execute them in more empathetic ways. In this way, they are invaluable.
- ‘HR is the most important function in an organisation. Without exception it should always be a top-table part’
- ’The best organisations think about every decision and have a policy on it’
- ‘Hybrid working is a chance to be more people-centric and really change things up’
- ‘When you can speak honestly, it makes things so much quicker’
- ’We have to be candid about what we can do and what we can’t do'
- Host of The HR Uprising Podcast, Lucinda Carney, is also the founder and CEO of Actus Software, where you can find additional free HR Resources:
- Virtual Management Training
- Virtual Change Superhero Training
- The HR Uprising Podcast | Apple | Spotify | Stitcher
- The HR Uprising LinkedIn Group
- Eat Sleep Work Repeat - https://eatsleepworkrepeat.com
- The Joy Of Work (Amazon)
- Latest Performance Management Blog
ABOUT THE GUEST
Bruce Daisley is a bestselling author and technology leader from the UK. He spent 8 years as EMEA Vice President for Twitter having joined the company in 2012. Prior to this, Daisley ran YouTube UK at Google and he has also worked at Emap/Bauer and Capital Radio.
Daisley frequently speaks about the importance of laughter in the workplace. Indeed, he highlights the benefits of reducing the number of interruptions from emails, the importance of striking the right work-life balance, and the contribution which digital social media is making to our lives. His 2019 book on improving work culture, “The Joy of Work”, was the Sunday Times number one business bestseller in spring 2019 which also went on to be named The Financial Times made it Book of the Month. Professor Sir Cary Cooper described it as ‘a joy to read’ and bestselling business author Dan Pink said it ‘can help transform your work experience’.
Highlighting the importance for improving work culture, his book, “Eat Sleep, Work Repeat”, is a compelling manifesto for an era overwhelmed with work pressures. It was commissioned as a follow-up to his Apple number one business chart topping podcast.
Bruce Daisley grew up on a council estate in Birmingham. He started his working career in fast food restaurants to help him pay his way to become the first member of his family to ever go to university. After dozens of rejections, Bruce landed his first career role by taking a risk and drawing a cartoon CV of his life. Twenty years on, having worked in radio and magazines, he’s made his way to work in technology firms like YouTube, Google and Twitter.
ABOUT THE HOST
Lucinda Carney is a Business Psychologist with 15 years in Senior Corporate L&D roles and a further 10 as CEO of Actus Software where she worked closely with HR colleagues helping them to solve the same challenges across a huge range of industries. It was this breadth of experience that inspired Lucinda to set up the HR Uprising community to facilitate greater collaboration across HR professionals in different sectors, helping them to ‘rise up’ together.
“If you look up, you rise up”
- Join the LinkedIn community - https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13714397/
- Email: Lucinda@advancechange.co.uk
- Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/lucindacarney/
- Twitter: @lucindacarney
- Instagram: @hruprising
- Facebook: @hruprising
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.