Manage episode 192565752 series 72423
It seems that nowadays, aside from religion and politics, one of the most hotly debated topics is that of nutrition.
Should we eat high carb diets? Low carb? High fat? High protein? What about wheat or gluten? Should we eat meat or adopt a vegan diet?
There are as many opinions as there are people — and books, magazines and websites are overflowing with information showing you the “right” way to eat and exercise to lose weight.
But if “eating less and moving more” is all it takes to lose weight and enjoy a healthy lifestyle, why are so many of us fat and getting fatter?
In this episode, I chat with Gary Taubes, bestselling author of three books, The Case Against Sugar (2016), Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It (2011) and Good Calories, Bad Calories (2007).
We talk about the sharp rise of obesity and diabetes in America, the structural hurdles to effective nutrition research, and explore the common myth that a calorie is just a calorie.
Here are a few other things you’ll learn in this interview:
- How diets shifted in the last century, and what impact it’s having on our bodies today.
- Why a carb isn’t just a carb — and why you should know the difference
- Is the sugar industry the new Big Tobacco?
- What role genetics play in our health, and how much is under our control
- Why humans are so attracted to sugar and how to break the habit
- Gary’s suggestions to improve your health, drop body fat and feel terrific
- The benefits of fasting and how you can try it out yourself
And a bunch more.
If you think at all about your health, give this podcast a listen.
For comprehensive show notes on this episode and more episodes go to https://www.fs.blog/podcast/
Our free weekly email helps you get better results through intelligent preparation and offers great reading recommendations. Don't miss out, sign up at https://www.fs.blog/newsletter/
59 episodes available. A new episode about every 23 days averaging 77 mins duration .