Manage episode 187896365 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox Podcast! Today, we’re talking with Jeremy W. Richter, an attorney with Webster, Henry, Bradwell, Cohan, Speagle & DeShazo, in Birmingham, Alabama. Jeremy practices civil defense litigation and focuses on commercial auto/trucking litigation, premises liability, general business liability, and various other aspects of insurance defense litigation. He also writes an interesting blog, spanning a variety of topics, which you’ll find at jeremywrichter.com.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Jeremy’s background, why he decided to go to law school and how his career developed
- Life as a small law firm associate
- The impact that the people you work with have on your experience
- Tracking your time: basics of time keeping and the billable hour debate
- Blogging as a lawyer
- What young lawyers and law students should know about the business of law
- Networking as an introvert
- How to develop skills as a trial lawyer as a young associate
- What law firms are looking for when hiring associates
- Jeremy's Website (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/)
- Jeremy on Twitter @richterjw (https://twitter.com/richterjw)
- Three Steps to Becoming a Better Associate Attorney (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/01/09/becoming-better-associate/)
- “Efficient Lawyers Starve to Death” (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/07/27/efficient-lawyers-starve-to-death/)
- (Why) Should a Lawyer Have a Blog? An Interview with Keith Lee or, What's on an Associate's Mind? (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/02/09/associates-mind-keith-lee/)
- Networking for a Job as an Introvert (Law School Edition) (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/07/13/networking-job-introvert-law-school/)
- Knowing When to Stop Arguing Your Point (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/08/23/stop-arguing-point/)
- How to Voir Dire a Jury: Goals, Tactics, & Effectiveness (Part 1) (http://www.jeremywrichter.com/2017/04/24/voir-dire-jury/)
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Episode-116-young-law-associate.pdf)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) (or your listening platform of choice). And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/).
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
165 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 43 mins duration .