Manage episode 208226841 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today, we're talking with Visla Rudiger, a transgender attorney, about her experiences in the legal profession -- at work, in court, and more.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Some of the key challenges and obstacles when coming out as a transgender professional
- Advice for coming out as a transgender person to your boss, your family, and your friends
- How and where people can learn the basics of respectful terminology
- The protections, or lack thereof, for transgender individuals, particularly in the current political climate
- Things to consider before coming out as a law student
- What to think about when deciding where to take the bar exam
- How to be a useful ally
- GLAAD Media Reference Guide (https://www.glaad.org/reference/transgender)
- National Center for Transgender Equality Know Your Rights – Employment (General) (https://transequality.org/know-your-rights/employment-general)
- ACLU Know Your Rights - Transgender People and the Law (https://www.aclu.org/know-your-rights/transgender-people-and-law)
- GLAAD Tips for Allies of Transgender People (https://www.glaad.org/transgender/allies)
- GLAAD (https://www.glaad.org/)
- Trans LifeLine (https://www.translifeline.org/)
- Transgender Law Center (https://transgenderlawcenter.org/)
- Equality California (https://www.eqca.org/)
- Equality Virginia (https://www.equalityvirginia.org/)
- Planned Parenthood Trans and Gender Nonconforming Health Services (https://www.plannedparenthood.org/learn/sexual-orientation-gender/trans-and-gender-nonconforming-identities/what-do-i-need-know-about-trans-health-care)
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/LST-Ep-150-Conversation-w-Visla-Rudiger-Trans-Attorney.pdf)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee