Manage episode 214831983 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today we're talking with ex-BigLaw recruiter Sadie Jones about the secret life of large law firms. If you think you want to work in a large law firm someday, don’t miss this episode as we dive into the unique culture of BigLaw.
In this episode, we discuss:
- The unique work culture of large law firms and the myriad personalities the of people who work there (aka, why BigLaw is so weird)
- Things not to do, if you don't want to look like a jerk
- How to really get on the partnership track – if that’s what you want – and the reality of the pyramid structure at large law firms
- The truth about partnership at large firms – it’s not the golden ticket it once was
- Dress codes – are all firms the same and does it really matter what you wear?
- Tips for fleshing out the unspoken expectations and rules that often exist in BigLaw around billable hours, travel time and expenses, and office face time
- What unlimited vacation REALLY means
- Using Reply-All to Show Your BigLaw Firm You're a Jerk (https://abovethelaw.com/2018/05/read-the-nasty-mass-email-sent-at-a-biglaw-firm-over-a-departing-associate/)
- CareerDicta (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/careerdicta/)
- Podcast Episode 142: Owning Your Career (w/Whittney Beard) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-142-owning-your-career-w-whittney-beard/)
- Podcast Episode 135: Leaving the Law (wCasey Berman) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-135-leaving-law-casey-berman/)
- Fashionably Lawyered: How to Dress the Part as a New Attorney (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/fashionably-lawyered-how-to-dress-the-part-as-a-new-attorney/)
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/LST-Ep-159-Secret-Life-of-Law-Firms-w-Sadie.pdf)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee