Manage episode 217984418 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today, ex-BigLaw recruiter, Sadie Jones, joins us to talk about how to frame your job search story. You may be thinking that you don’t have a story, but we all have a story! So we're exploring how to make sure your story makes sense.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What do we mean by your “job search story”?
- Tips on how to make sure your materials are telling your potential employer the story you want to tell – one that’s relevant AND truthful
- Cover letters – and why they’re a golden opportunity to craft your story that you should never pass up
- How to deal with non-linear career paths
- Dos: get a LinkedIn profile, get feedback on your resume, proofread
- Don’ts: put a language you’re not truly fluent in, be defensive when getting feedback, make mistakes or typos in your materials
- CareerDicta (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/careerdicta/)
- Building a Resume in Law School (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/building-a-resume-in-law-school/)
- Six Essential Cover Letter Tips for Law Students (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/six-essential-cover-letter-tips-for-law-students/)
- Podcast Episode 111: Resumes and Cover Letters (with an Ex-BigLaw recruiter) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-111-resumes-cover-letters-ex-biglaw-recruiter/)
- The Foundations of Marketing Yourself: The Mission Statement (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/the-foundations-of-marketing-yourself-the-mission-statement/)
- Ahead of the Curve: Setting up Your Social Media – Getting a Fresh, Professional Start to Law School (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/ahead-of-the-curve-setting-up-your-social-media-getting-a-fresh-professional-start-to-law-school/)
- Ahead of the Curve: Get a Head Start on Your Career (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/ahead-of-the-curve-get-a-head-start-on-your-career/)
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/LST-Ep-166-Frame-Your-Job-Search-Story-w-Sadie.pdf)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
203 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 38 mins duration .