Manage episode 219917966 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today, we're talking about the Bluebook. You might be wondering, can there actually be an entire episode on this podcast just about the Bluebook? Oh, yes, there can be.
In this episode, we discuss:
- What the Bluebook is and why proper citations matter
- How to cite a case – we walk through a case citation and talk about all the rules that are triggered
- Why you don't want to leave points on the table in your legal writing citation work
- Ways to get organized so that figuring out the right way to cite sources is faster and easier
- Why it is absolutely necessary to set aside time for figuring out all your citations and then more time for proofreading just citations
- Beware the short cites – in particular when re-arranging sections in your brief or memo
- Why Citations are Important and Should Not be Ignored (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/why-citations-are-important-and-should-not-be-ignored/)
- Buying the Bluebook: Spiral-Bound or Online? (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/buying-the-bluebook-spiral-bound-or-online/)
- What Signals are Your Signals Sending? (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/what-signals-are-your-signals-sending/)
- The Anatomy of a Case Citation (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/the-anatomy-of-a-case-citation/)
- Warby Parker (https://www.warbyparker.com/lawschooltoolbox)
- Bluebook Oddities: 10 Unlikely Citations (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/bluebook-oddities-10-unlikely-citations/)
- How to Get Answers from the Bluebook (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-answers-bluebook/)
Episode Transcript: Download the Transcript (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/LST-Ep-170-Lets-Talk-About-the-Bluebook.pdf)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
209 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 36 mins duration .