Manage episode 225480895 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today we're talking about setting yourself up to write a great seminar paper or journal note.
In this episode we discuss:
- Why selecting the right topic is probably the most important step in the writing process
- How to productively engage with your professors, your mentors, and even your law librarians about your topic selection and your writing
- Where to look for good topics that won’t bore you (and your readers) to death
- The pros and cons of writing about circuit splits
- How to balance finding an original topic with existing authority
- Our own note and seminar paper problems – learn from our mistakes!
- Picking a Paper Topic: Picking a Topic (http://law.uakron.libguides.com/c.php?g=495094&p=3388056)
- Picking a Paper Topic: Circuit Splits (http://law.uakron.libguides.com/topicselection/circuit_splits)
- Finding a Topic for Your Law School Paper or Law Review Comment/Note (https://legalresearch.usfca.edu/c.php?g=523726&p=3580707)
- Scholarly writing for law students : seminar papers, law review notes and law review competition papers (http://doncore.usfca.edu/iii/encore/record/C__Rb2985225?lang=eng)
- Podcast Episode 170: Let’s Talk About the Bluebook! (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-170-lets-talk-about-the-bluebook/)
- Podcast Episode 106: How to Go to Office Hours and Make it Worth Your Time (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-106-go-office-hours-make-worth-time/)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
198 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 39 mins duration .