Manage episode 227542159 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today we're talking with Lyssa Thaden of AccessLex Institute, a non-profit which works to increase accessibility and affordability for law students, about student loans and other financial topics.
In this episode we discuss:
- Student debt, and what you need to consider before you choose law school
- How to increase your access to scholarship dollars
- Why being realistic about your finances and your future is key to avoiding the worst-case scenarios
- Why making a budget and cutting your living expenses can pay off after you graduate
- How to plan for the post-graduation bar exam expenses (and why you need to!)
- Strategies and resources for graduates who are struggling with repayment
- MAX by AccessLex: Strategy Changes Everything (https://www.accesslex.org/about-max-by-accesslex)
- AccessLex Student Loan Calculator (https://www.accesslex.org/student-loan-calculator#/)
- AccessLex Diversity Pipeline Program Directory (https://www.accesslex.org/accesslex-diversity-pipeline-program-directory)
- AccessLex Diversity Pipeline Research Grant Program (https://www.accesslex.org/legal-education-diversity-pipeline-grant-program)
- StudentLoans.Gov (https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action)
- Law School Myth #1: Lawyers Make a Lot of Money (https://thegirlsguidetolawschool.com/09/law-school-myth-1-lawyers-make-a-lot-of-money/)
- Podcast Episode 174: The LSAT is Going Digital (w/Nathan Fox) (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-174-the-lsat-is-going-digital-thoughts-from-lsat-expert-nathan-fox/)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
198 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 39 mins duration .