Manage episode 238130618 series 108532
Welcome back to the Law School Toolbox podcast! Today, we're talking about LLM programs, focusing on foreign students who don't have a JD and are doing an LLM as their first exposure to the US legal system.
In this episode we discuss:
- What are the characteristics of an LLM degree, and who is likely to do one?
- What challenges foreign students should consider when thinking about starting an LLM in the US
- The Socratic method of teaching, which is often used in US law schools
- How you can prepare to do well in the LLM and get the most out of the experience
- Planning ahead for the bar exam if you intend to sit for it
- The importance of getting feedback on your writing if English is not your first language
- Start Law School Right (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/start-law-school-right/)
- Bar Exam Toolbox blog (https://barexamtoolbox.com/bar-exam-toolbox-blog/)
- Bar Exam Toolbox podcast (https://barexamtoolbox.com/podcast/)
- AdaptiBar (https://www.adaptibar.com/)
- Practice of the Week (POW) MBE Workshop (https://barexamtoolbox.com/practice-of-the-week-pow-mbe-workshop/)
- Strategies & Tactics for the MBE, by Steven Emanuel (https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B06XJFKBW5?ref_=dbs_m_mng_rwt_0000_ft)
- Podcast Episode 198: Pre-1L Life Logistics (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-198-pre-1l-life-logistics/)
- Podcast Episode 78: Advice for First-Time Bar Exam Takers (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-78-advice-first-time-bar-exam-takers/)
- Podcast Episode 80: Bar Exam 101 – An Introduction (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/podcast-episode-80-bar-exam-101-introduction/)
- Law School Toolbox blog: Why Would You Want to Get an LLM? (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/why-would-you-want-to-get-an-llm/)
If you enjoy the podcast, we'd love a nice review and/or rating on Apple Podcasts (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/law-school-toolbox-podcast/id1027603976) or your favorite listening app. And feel free to reach out to us directly. You can always reach us via the contact form on the Law School Toolbox website (http://lawschooltoolbox.com/contact). If you're concerned about the bar exam, check out our sister site, the Bar Exam Toolbox (http://barexamtoolbox.com/). You can also sign up for our weekly podcast newsletter (https://lawschooltoolbox.com/get-law-school-podcast-updates/) to make sure you never miss an episode!
Thanks for listening!
Alison & Lee
210 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 36 mins duration .