Manage episode 262409414 series 1888705
Change. The soft skills measurement company, Pairin, describes change as the drive to pursue complexity, novelty or variety, and to avoid the predictability of order and routine. Listen in to help guide your team through tough challenges when everything seems to be overwhelming. Jim and Jan share Kotter’s 8-Step Process for leading change and how to remove the barriers to support change efforts that stick.
[1:35] It’s very rare in life that the entire world experiences change at the same time.
[6:45] Wake up every morning determined to give more than you take.
[9:25] It’s inspiring to see how mankind can come together in terms of crisis.
[11:25] If you’re getting stressed out, take a big breath, and say, “I have time.”
[14:25] A review of Kotter’s 8-Step Process for Leading Change.
[15:25] Short-term wins.
[19:50] Focus on the changes that are happening around you and how you can better support the people struggling. A ‘woe is me’ approach is an unhealthy mindset.
[23:05] Gig economy nuances.
[26:00] Pay attention to your fears.
- “There are all kinds of things out there that we can not control, but we can control how we respond to our environment and our attitude.”
- “When you’re going into situations, breathe, and say, ‘I have time. I have time.’”
- “Great leaders remove big barriers.”
- “Get out of the world of ‘what’s changed for me’ and start thinking about what’s changed for everyone.”
- “It’s time to reinvent work, and make more time for other important things in life.”
- “Events like this are critical for you to understand what really motivates you and what’s keeping you from accomplishing your goals.”
Resources and Books Mentioned
- Man’s Search for Meaning: The classic tribute to hope from the Holocaust, by Viktor Frankl
- Kotter’s 8-Step Process for Leading Change
- “Dan Pink — When Fear Motivates”
The Leadership Podcast is Sponsored by:
Cultivate Grit. Amplify Action.
Investing in yourself isn’t selfish. Click HERE.
Free downloads of Quick Reference Guides on Delegation, Time Management, Sales, and more.