Manage episode 197803513 series 10950
Allison Plumer, chef and owner of Lot 2 in Brooklyn, and Heather Rubi, a farm-to-restaurant consultant, discuss winter farmers markets: what to get, how to prepare winter vegetables, and which markets are best in New York City. She also shares some of her favorite winter recipes.
This segment is guest hosted by Melissa Clark.
Roasted Carrots and Parsnips Glazed with Honey Butter, Sage and Feta
Recipe from Allison Plumer
All of these ingredients can be found at your winter Greenmarket, with the exception of the lemon.
1.5 lb carrots
1.5 lb parsnips
1 knob butter
4 tablespoons of honey, preferably a dark variety, like buckwheat
Half bunch of sage
Juice of 1 lemon
Goat milk or other feta, optional
1. Pick the leaves off the sage and hold them aside
2. Peel and cut your root veggies into your favorite shape for roasting. Keep them around the same size so they will cool uniformly.
3. Toss prepared roots with some olive oil and salt to enhance their flavors while they roast.
4. Roast roots at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. We want to cook them a bit, but not soft all the way through as we are going to cook them again with the glaze. (Veggies can be roasted ahead of time and kept in the fridge).
5. Add butter to medium sauce pan on medium heat. Once the butter melts down, add sage leaves and brown the butter with the leaves and add a pinch of salt
6. Add roots to the pan and toss to coat with the butter and sage mix. Squeeze on a few tablespoons of honey into the mix and add lemon juice.
Sneak a taste and add more salt or honey if your palate demands it. I like to top this dish with fresh goat milk feta from the market or your favorite soft farmers cheese!
2366 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 hours averaging 24 mins duration .