The Less Doing Podcast with Ari Meisel: The Best Life Hacks And Productivity Tips For Less Doing, More Living
168: Steve J. Martin - The small BIG
Manage episode 91351915 series 57904
In Episode #168 Ari speaks with Steve J. Martin, master of persuasion and Co-Author of The small BIG. During this interview, Ari and Steve cover the science of persuasion, the importance of ethics and the paradox of neutrality.
Special Announcements:Fuel the Fire
Come watch Ari light-up the Drake Hotel in Chicago on Wednesday, August 5th as he delivers a rousing keynote speech for IPPA Business Excellence Conference: Fuel the Fire. This will be a great opportunity to watch Ari translate the lessons of Less Doing into terms business leaders can take to the bank.Rockefeller Roundtable
Come watch Ari regale a roundtable of avid Helm Society listeners with the lessons of Less Doing on September 9th from 10AM to 2PM in New York City.Subscribe to the Podcast or Leave Us a Review!
Hey Less Doing Podcast Listeners, we want to hear from YOU! Visit us on iTunes and leave a review or subscribe to the podcast if you’re not already a dedicated follower.
Time Stamped Show Notes:
- 13:57 – Introduction of Steve J. Martin of
- 14:48 – How Steve got started in the art of persuasion
- 15:15 – Measuring the skill of sales teams
- 16:14 – Sometimes success is all about being in a good place at the right time
- 17:04 – There is no neutrality with influence and persuasion
- 17:38 – Be honest, be ethical
- 18:58 – Our response to being manipulated isn’t to the tactic used, it’s to the manipulator
- 21:43 – We want more of the things we can have less of
- 22:33 – Scarcity confers value
- 24:18 – Typically, following what others like us have done is an efficient way to make decisions
- 24:37 – Find shortcuts to make less decisions
- 26:40 – Beware of testimonials
- 28:12 – Knowing the principles of persuasion doesn’t empower you to avoid them
- 29:25 – Steve’s upcoming projects
- 31:04 – Small tweaks can lead to big effects
- 35:07 – What makes people want to give online businesses their contact information
- 35:23 – The give and take effect
- 37:19 – Steve’s Top 3 Tips to be More Effective
- 37:35 –Understand and learn the 3 keys of human motivation
- 38:48 – Do not dismiss the power of small things
- 39:45 – Be human
- 41:21 – Science and persuasion
7 Key Points:
- Find shortcuts to make fewer decisions.
- Small changes can have massive impact.
- Scarcity convers value.
- We live in an information age—we do not live in a knowledge age.
- Never lose sight of your humanity.
- Luck plays a role in everything.
- Be honest and ethical.
- Timeagram – Enables users to schedule their post to Instagram
- Retroospect – Walks users through their previous work week to determine the best days and times for productivity, etc.
- 99u – The four types of productivity styles
- 19 Go-To Foods for a Healthy Pantry – From Ben Greenfield fitness, 19 foods to live a happier, healthier life
- Best Conditions for a Unicorn – From Tech Crunch, an article highlighting the best conditions to create a “unicorn” of a company
- Handwriting.IO – A programming API that provides digital handwriting
- Breathometer – An Indigogo campaign, a device designed to measure oral health
- Counsyl – A family-prep service to help people who want to get genetically screened before having kids
- Inoreader – A high-level blog and article processing system—great for speed readers
- Parenting Tips – From Barking up the Wrong Tree, four new parenting tips to make your kids awesome
331 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 31 mins duration .