TMHS 310: Movement Skills, The Importance of Community, & Down-Regulating At Night - With Guest Dr. Kelly Starrett
Manage episode 217621551 series 60566
Be honest: what was on your mind the last time you stepped into the gym? Was it your goal to exhaust all of your effort in order to set a PR? Did you make it your secret mission to compete with the guy on the treadmill next to you?
I’m all about taking your workout to the next level, but today’s guest has an important lesson to share about setting a realistic and sustainable intention for your workout. I recently trained with Dr. Kelly Starrett, and I was wholly fascinated by the simple (yet effective!) goal he set for our session: to leave our training session feeling better than we did before.
Kelly is a doctor of physical therapy, a New York Times Best Selling Author, and an all-around stand-up human being. On today’s episode, he’s sharing why fundamental movements are indispensable to your routine, what basic human physiology can teach us about exercise, and how simple swaps with your phone and sleep habits can have an incredible pay off long-term.In this episode you’ll discover:
- How to set an intention for your workout (and why a simple goal is so effective).
- The importance of removing your ego from your training.
- Why it’s crucial to rebuild and reclaim your body’s fundamental movements.
- Which exercise is a vital piece of human physiology.
- What the history of Homosapienscan teach us about our basic needs.
- What it means to load the long bones (and the essential exercises you need to perform!)
- Pros and cons of workouts like Zumba.
- The importance of finding your tribe and having meaningful interactions.
- What it means to eat like a human.
- The true meaning of posture.
- How to keep up a healthy routine when motivation fails you.
- The importance of community for overall health and wellness.
- Why self-medicationis so prevalent in our society.
- How lack of sleep is interconnected to mental health problems.
- What thermoregulationis, and how it can help you get a great night of sleep!
- Foursigmatic.com/model ? Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Transformationalnutrition.com/model? Take the ITN assessment!
- Becoming a Supple Leopard by Dr. Kelly Starrett
- Mobility WOD on YouTube
- Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari
- Homo Deus by Yuval Noah Harari
- Boost Your Performance & prevent Injuries with Dr. Kelly Starrett – Episode 281
- Protect Your Mental Energy & Deep Work with Cal Newport – Episode 276
- The Ready State Podcast
- Connect with Kelly Website/ Facebook/ Twitter
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcast by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!
361 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 70 mins duration .