Manage episode 230414656 series 60566
Have you ever reached a goal, and then immediately felt unfulfilled or disappointed? Psychologically speaking, this is totally normal. Having big goals gives us a sense of purpose and a reason to look forward to the future. More importantly, striving toward those goals helps us feel connected and hopeful.
After becoming a best-selling author and reaching all of his life’s goals at only 29, Mark Mason felt a deep sense of malaise and depression. While that might sound counterintuitive, science says it’s totally normal to feel apathetic and blue after reaching a huge goal.
In his new book, Everything is F*cked, Mark dives into the psychology behind achievement, human happiness, and the importance of hope. Mark is on the show today to share his experience, along with the impressive science behind the human mind. You’re going to learn the powerful formula for perpetuating hope, how to hack your brain to create habits that stick, as well as how to truly measure happiness.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The surprising negative effects of Mark’s success.
- Why hope is so important for the human mind.
- What the paradox of progress is.
- The role of religion in our society.
- Three things that you need to create hope.
- Why community is so important for human happiness.
- The two different types of brains, and how they work.
- How to create new habits and routines.
- The link between discipline and self-loathing.
- How physical activities can actually change your emotional state.
- A history of lobotomies.
- The relationship between emotions and the body.
- How emotional intelligence works.
- Why old experiences can leave you with a chip on your shoulder.
- How human happiness works.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Easemagnesium.com/model⇐ Get an exclusive 15% off here!
- Thrivemarket.com/modelhealth⇐ 25% off your entire 1storder + free shipping!
- Sleep Smarter by Shawn Stevenson
- The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson
- Everything is F*cked by Mark Manson
- Connect with Mark Website/ Twitter/ Instagram
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!