TMHS 349: The Microbiome-Emotion Connection & The Truth About Antidepressants - With Guest Dr. Jillian Teta
Manage episode 232791794 series 60566
Emerging science regarding the role of the human gut just keeps getting better and more complex. Until recently, most of us considered the digestive tract a simple means of processing food and eliminating waste. But the entirety of the digestive tract spans thirty feet long, and it turns out our amazing gut controls much more than digestion.
The entire body is an integrated, interconnected whole, in which the gut plays a huge role.
The gut has implications on many systems in the body—including hormones, the immune system, and even emotions.
Today we’re joined by an expert on all things gut health, digestion, and integrative medicine. Dr. Jilian Teta is a naturopathic physician, author, and leader in the field of digestive health. She’s here to help us understand the holistic role the gut plays within our bodies and how to optimize its function. So click play, write down what resonates with you, and enjoy!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- The link between the gut and emotions.
- What ENS means.
- The two different types of nervous systems and how they work.
- How stress affects the digestive system (and vice-versa!)
- What enterochromaffin cells are, and how they’re related to serotonin levels.
- Why low serotonin levels can lead to constipation.
- What sympathetic overdominance is.
- How SSRIs actually work within the body.
- The link between trauma and gastrointestinal disorders.
- Why you should consider going on a daily walk to improve gut health.
- What the Japanese term shinrin-yoku is, and why you should practice it.
- The difference between movement and exercise.
- How to cultivate a supportive sleep environment.
- Simple lifestyle changes you can make to improve your digestive health.
- The power of meditation.
- How orgasms can help you de-stress.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- Onnit.com/Model ⇐ Get your optimal health & performance supplements at 10% off!
- Foursigmatic.com/model ⇐ Get 15% off your daily health elixirs and coffee!
- Natural Solutions for Digestive Health by Dr. Jillian Teta
- Fix Your Digestion Gut Restoration Program
- How Sex Helps You Live a Longer, Healthier Life – Episode 335
- Destress Your Gut Academy
- Connect with Dr. Teta Website / Facebook / Instagram
Thank you so much for checking out this episode of The Model Health Show. If you haven’t done so already, please take a minute and leave a quick rating and review of the show on Apple Podcasts by clicking on the link below. It will help us to keep delivering life-changing information for you every week!