Manage episode 318376690 series 60566
Low energy, lethargy, and fatigue are common complaints among the general public. In most cities, you can find coffee shops open around the clock, and convenience store shelves are filled with a multitude of energy drinks and shots. But these products are in no way a sustainable solution to chronic low energy levels. Our bodies require energy in the form of sleep, as well as food. Think about it: we literally measure our food in a form of energy, or calories. For our energy levels and our overall health, the quality of those calories matters.
One of the most energetic, vibrant people I can think of is Dr. Jonny Bowden. He is a board-certified nutritionist, the author of multiple best-selling books, and a nationally recognized expert in the realm of nutrition. On today’s show, Dr. Bowden is back on The Model Health to share simple changes you can implement in your diet and lifestyle for more energy.
This interview contains key insights on insulin and metabolic health, specific foods you can eat for better energy levels, and how tracking your sleep can improve your overall health. You’ll hear about how metabolic health and energy levels are connected, how learning (and unlearning) can help you make better food choices, and a whole lot more. So listen in, take good notes, and enjoy this episode with Dr. Jonny Bowden!
In this episode you’ll discover:
- Which lifestyle habits contribute to your energy levels.
- How sleep deprivation can lead to insulin resistance.
- Simple sleep hygiene habits you can implement tonight.
- Why most nutrition guidelines from the 1980s and 1990s were wrong.
- How intermittent fasting can help you control your insulin levels.
- The key to metabolic health and energy.
- Two detrimental things that happen when you eat every few hours.
- Which health marker is a better predictor of heart disease than cholesterol.
- Why now is the time to focus on your metabolic health.
- The power of optimizing your vitamin D levels.
- How going on a walk after dinner affects your metabolic health.
- The one purpose of pharmaceutical companies.
- How our diet impacts our hormone function.
- What to look for in a cooking oil.
- The two most prominent inflammatory foods in our culture.
- Which foods are best for energy production.
- How to get more selenium in your diet.
- The impact that human connection has on your immune function & overall health.
Items mentioned in this episode include:
- PaleoValley.com/model -- Use code MODEL for 15% off!
- PiqueTea.com/model -- Use code MODEL at checkout for 10% off!
- Living Low Carb by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The Great Cholesterol Myth by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- Smart Fat by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The Most Effective Way to Live Longer by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The 150 Healthiest Foods on Earth by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The 150 Most Effective Ways to Boost Your Energy by Dr. Jonny Bowden
- The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet by Drs. Rachael F. Heller & Richard F. Heller
- Sickening: How Big Pharma Broke American Healthcare by Dr. John Abramson
- Dopesick on Hulu
- The New Leading Cause of Death in America – Episode 549
- Skittles Highway Spill - HuffPost
- EWG’s Dirty Dozen
- 5-Day Intro to Intermittent Fasting
- Connect with Dr. Jonny Bowden Website / Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
Join TMHS Facebook community - Model Nation
Be sure you are subscribed to this podcast to automatically receive your episodes: