Manage episode 220968901 series 2097489
Curt and Katie talk about how to handle the drama that can happen at your work or school setting. We talk about when to take action and when it is more important to manage the logistics and protect your reputation and employability.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.In this episode we talk about:
- What to do when your agency or your program closes out or there is DRAMA
- How it works within a school program that closes
- Making decisions when you have to face this type of crisis
- Making sure to get information to help you with your decision making
- Balancing supporting your peers and taking care of yourself
- How to do due diligence to move forward
- Understanding the motivations of all parties involved
- Looking out for your own best interest
- Navigating and understanding the rumor mill
- Understanding how rumors, drama, etc., can impact you personally
- Sorting through when you should stand up and advocate and when you keep your head down
- Creating an exit plan
- Reputation management
- The problem with getting frozen
- The caution required when you decide to stand up for someone else (especially when you don’t have all the information)
- Choosing your battles
- Protecting your own reputation and employability
- Managing your resume
- How the way you talk about what has happened will reflect on you
- Making sure to remain professional
- Discussing the reasons that Curt and Katie work for themselves
- Identifying when you can live with the drama and when you need to move on
- Handling logistics to take care of your needs
- Assessing what is worth it
Thanks again to our sponsor, SimplePractice!
SimplePractice is an all in one platform where you can schedule appointments, use paperless intakes, file insurance claims, and meet with clients remotely using our integrated Telehealth system.
Because running your practice should be Simple, so you can do the work that really matters.Resources mentioned:
We’ve pulled together resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Therapy Reimagined 2019: Sign up here to get notified when the details are released.
Our consultation services:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making "dad jokes" and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt's youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: www.katievernoy.comA Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/