Manage episode 207501296 series 2097489
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. We are human beings who can now present ourselves as whole people, with authenticity, purpose, and connection. Especially now, when therapists must develop a personal brand to market their practices.
To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.Interview with Millen Umoh, LMFT
Millen Umoh is a New York State licensed psychotherapist currently practicing in Brooklyn, NY. She is a graduate of Pepperdine University with a Master's degree in Clinical Psychology. Millen specializes in working with individuals dealing with relationship break-ups, separation, divorce, unhealthy interpersonal relationship patterns, and other major life transitions. She also has extensive experience treating anxiety and mood disorders. Learn more about Millen on her website: www.millenumoh.com
In this episode we talk about:
- Millen’s story, her specialty (and her former blog Psych and The Single Girl)
- Unique challenges for therapists on the dating scene
- Setting boundaries, having reciprocal conversations, receiving in addition to giving
- When to talk about your profession while online dating
- What happened when Millen told people she was unemployed
- App dating – setting up your bio, what to disclose, how to present yourself
- Red flags, when to left swipe
- What to do if coming across clients on the app
- How to address with clients if they become aware of your dating status
- Social Media and informed consent to clarify boundaries
- How to approach seeking long-term relationships, when in your career you might want to date
- Options for getting out on the dating scene (online dating, app dating, getting out for live events, meeting organically)
- Self-disclosure about dating – when it might be appropriate or how to show understanding and knowledge
- The perks of dating when you’re a therapist
We’ve pulled together any resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Relevant MTSG Podcast Episodes:
Our Next Event:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making "dad jokes" and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more about Curt at www.curtwidhalm.com.
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt's youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more about Katie at www.katievernoy.com.A Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
110 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 33 mins duration .