Manage episode 210201063 series 2097489
Curt and Katie talk about ineffective and shady marketing practices that are completely ineffective and bad for your brand.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.In this episode we talk about:
- Laws and best practices related to email marketing
- The benefit of opt-in and permission marketing
- List building while providing positive content to the people who have subscribed or opted in
- Frequency and quality of emails
- Technological advances that help you send information only to the people who want it
- Segmented lists: client facing, referral sources, topics, events, etc.
- The what’s and how’s of the unsubscribe button
- Unsolicited texts during the election
- The danger of holding people hostage in any form (in person networking, texting, phone, email)
- Visibility is not the only goal of marketing
- Facebook interactions that are not so cool
- Treating people as a number on a mailing list, a like for a FB page, etc.
- Excessively marketing – fear based or obsession-based conversations
- The huge problem of not being able to unsubscribe
- The dangers of burning out your referral sources with unsolicited emails
- Creating engaging content
- Marketing strategy for different platforms
We’ve pulled together resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Permission Marketing by Seth Godin
Other Relevant Episodes:
Our event this year:
Our new consultation services:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making "dad jokes" and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt's youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: www.katievernoy.comA Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/