Manage episode 234076647 series 2097489
Curt and Katie talk about how we value our time, looking at time when we are generating revenue AND the time when we are not generating revenue.
It’s time to reimagine therapy and what it means to be a therapist. To support you as a whole person and a therapist, your hosts, Curt Widhalm and Katie Vernoy talk about how to approach the role of therapist in the modern age.In this episode we talk about:
- The initial conversations about time: Curt’s FB post, Jo Muirhead’s Article
- Philosophical musings about the value of time
- Podcastception: a podcast sparked by a blog post which was sparked by one of our Facebook posts
- The value of client hours above other hours
- How to value non-revenue time
- The types of non-revenue generating time
- Valuing time in different ways
- The importance of self-care hours for many of our listeners and the lesser value that Curt places on these type of hours
- James Clear’s ideas on how to value time and figure out what time is worth to you (take home pay method, market rate method, cost-base method)
- The monetary value of your hours versus other types of return on investment for you hour
- Looking at scalability and how you value your time while investing into a new service or product
- Decision-making when looking at whether hiring someone to do work for your business
- The different types of time (self-care, self-maintenance, rest, creative, content creation, work time, maintenance, etc.) and the different types of return on investment for those types (monetary, increased efficiency, positioning, strategic advantage, fulfillment, meaning, purpose, sustainability, quality of life, mission-driven, connection, etc.)
- The importance of balancing these types of time to avoid burnout or washout
- The unique return of investment for each person
- Future-proofing your work (being able to plan for sustained work and retirement)
- Looking at your whole career when you think about how you do your work
- Burnout or moral injury as risks for clinicians
- When your value of time is off-balance, you start sacrificing different aspects – self, soul, quality of life
- Looking at the idea of a time budget to help balance all the different types of time and the different types of return on investment
- Implementing systems into your calendar to manage time and energy
We’ve pulled together resources mentioned in this episode and put together some handy-dandy links.
Our consultation services:
Who we are:
Curt Widhalm is a Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist in private practice in the Los Angeles area. He is a Board Member at Large for the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, a Subject Matter Expert for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, Adjunct Faculty at Pepperdine University, and a loving husband and father. He is 1/2 great person, 1/2 provocateur, and 1/2 geek, in that order. He dabbles in the dark art of making "dad jokes" and usually has a half-empty cup of coffee somewhere nearby. Learn more at: www.curtwidhalm.com
Katie Vernoy is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, coach, and consultant. As a helping professional for two decades, she’s navigated the ups and downs of our unique line of work. She’s run her own solo therapy practice, designed innovative clinical programs, built and managed large, thriving teams of service providers, and consulted hundreds of helping professionals on how to build meaningful AND sustainable practices. In her spare time, Katie is secretly siphoning off Curt's youthful energy, so that she can take over the world. Learn more at: www.katievernoy.comA Quick Note:
Our opinions are our own. We are only speaking for ourselves – except when we speak for each other, or over each other. We’re working on it.
Our guests are also only speaking for themselves and have their own opinions. We aren’t trying to take their voice, and no one speaks for us either. Mostly because they don’t want to, but hey.
Stay in Touch:
Voice Over by DW McCann https://www.facebook.com/McCannDW/
Music by Crystal Grooms Mangano http://www.crystalmangano.com/
113 episodes available. A new episode about every 0 hours averaging 34 mins duration .