This series is archived ("Inactive feed" status)Please note series archiving is a new, experimental, feature of Player FM with the aim of helping users understand how we fetch series and report on any issues.
When? This feed was archived on August 19, 2018 01:23 (). Last successful fetch was on July 13, 2018 15:05 ()
Why? Inactive feed status. Our servers were unable to retrieve a valid podcast feed for a sustained period.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 202698275 series 2166014
Welcome to the Myth of the 20th Century. The podcast airs on Fridays.
— Brought to you by —
Adam Smith, Hank Oslo, Hans Lander, and Nick Mason.
1901 – oil development begins in Iraq under Ottoman and British guidance
1915-1917 – Sykes-Picot Agreement, dividing the Middle East under British and French rule
1937 – Saddam Hussein born Tikrit, Iraq
1941 – Saddam’s uncle adopts him
1945 – World War II ends.
1958 – Baathist coup by army officers lead by Abd al-Karim Qasim against King Faisal of the Hashemite House
1959 – Saddam attempts to assassinate General Qasim with his commrades, but ultimately fails and goes on the run
1963 – coup against Qassim launched by Baathist partisans and military dissidents. Saddam returns to Iraq and begins using CIA resources to execute and torture Communist partisans in Baghdad.
1963 – A quasi bloodless coup removing Baathist officers is undertaken by General Arif.
1964 – Saddam imprisoned
1964 – Iraq National Oil Company (INOC) formed with Iraqi state backing after the ousting of pro-Soviet elements from the Baghdad government
1966 – Saddam escapes prison
1968 – bloodless coup launched by Ahmed Hassan al-Bakr & Saddam removing Abdul Rahman Arif. Saddam becomes deputy president after some time in shadows settling scores (e.g., shooting lawyer who had refused to release party funds to him earlier)
1979 – Saddam assumes full control of Iraq by declaring himself President, followed by a series of purges to eliminate dissent in the Baathist Regime
1979 – The Iranian Revolution is undertaken against US allies in the Islamic Republic of Iran by Shia fundamentalists.
1980-1988 – The Iran-Iraq War
1990 – The Oil Shock of 1990 nearly doubles oil prices as a result of disruption from the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait
1990-1991 – The Gulf War is fought between Iraq and an international coalition led by the USA, leading to Iraqi forces being expelled from Kuwait after a month long air campaign and 100 hour ground operation
2003 – US President George W. Bush leads a small coalition of forces to fully invade Iraq
2003 – Saddam Hussein is found alive in a spider-hole near the city of Tikrit
2006 – Saddam Hussein is executed after being found guilty of crimes against humanity by a special court in Iraq
– Rumsfeld meets Saddam Hussein (1983) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42oejmpkgw
– Iraq Economic Data (1989-2003), https://www.cia.gov/library/reports/general-reports-1/iraq_wmd_2004/chap2_annxD.html
– April Glaspie Transcript (1990) – http://www.whatreallyhappened.com/WRHARTICLES/ARTICLE5/april.html
– Bravo Two Zero, McNab (1993)
– Spider’s Web: The Secret History of how the White House Illegally Armed Iraq, Friedman (1993)
– Cheney on Iraq (1994) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENbElb5-xY
– Zabibah and the King, Hussein (2000)
– Rumsfeld ‘offered help to Saddam’, Borger (2002) – https://www.theguardian.com/world/2002/dec/31/iraq.politics
– The Iraqi Economy under Saddam Hussein: Development or Decline, Mehdi (2003) – http://www.mepc.org/iraqi-economy-under-saddam-hussein-development-or-decline
– Debts of Saddam Hussein, PBS (2003) – http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/middle_east-jan-june03-debt_5-6/
– The Saddam Tapes: The Inner Workings of a Tyrant’s Regime, 1978–2001, Palkki and Stout (2011)
– The Carlyle Group (2012) – https://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanvardi/2012/10/03/david-rubenstein-and-the-carlyle-group-the-kings-of-capital/#200011557e09
– CIA Files Prove America Helped Saddam as He Gassed Iran, Harris and Aid, (2013) http://foreignpolicy.com/2013/08/26/exclusive-cia-files-prove-america-helped-saddam-as-he-gassed-iran/
– Debriefing the President, Nixon (2016)
– My Iraq Experience, Varg Vikernes (2017) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRATeUEBWJQ
– “Greater Israel”: The Zionist Plan for the Middle East, Shanak (2017) – http://www.globalresearch.ca/greater-israel-the-zionist-plan-for-the-middle-east/5324815
– America had no legal or constitutional right to be involved in any Mideast Wars since WW2, James (2017) – https://jamesfetzer.blogspot.co.uk/2017/08/preston-james-disturbing-truth-about.html
– Myth Of The 20th Century – Episode 3: The Iranian Revolution, Adam Smith, Hank Oslo and Nick Mason, (2017) – https://www.socialmatter.net/2017/01/20/myth-20th-century-episode-3-iranian-revolution/
– Saddam Hussein’s Very Public Purge – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLUktJbp2Ug
– Saddam Hussein – The Truth – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggFWwKDnqtg
The post Myth Of The 20th Century – Episode 34: Saddam Hussein, Legacy Of Violence appeared first on Social Matter.
76 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 123 mins duration .