This series is archived ("Inactive feed" status)Please note series archiving is a new, experimental, feature of Player FM with the aim of helping users understand how we fetch series and report on any issues.
When? This feed was archived on August 19, 2018 01:23 (). Last successful fetch was on July 13, 2018 15:05 ()
Why? Inactive feed status. Our servers were unable to retrieve a valid podcast feed for a sustained period.
What now? You might be able to find a more up-to-date version using the search function. This series will no longer be checked for updates. If you believe this to be in error, please check if the publisher's feed link below is valid and contact support to request the feed be restored or if you have any other concerns about this.
Manage episode 202698262 series 2166014
Welcome to the Myth of the 20th Century. The podcast airs on Fridays.
— Brought to you by —
Adam Smith, Nick Mason, Hans Lander, and Alex Nicholson
Hidden just beneath ordinary American society lies a population that will or already has been processed by the criminal justice system. According to the CIA, 16 million Americans are estimated to go to prison at some point, a population larger than Ecuador, and 65 million have a criminal record by age 23 – more people than there are in all of the United Kingdom. What this means to the millions who are ultimately imprisoned, let alone the rest of the county, goes to the very heart of what it means to be a just society.
– Hard Time, Taylor (2002) – https://amren.com/news/2017/06/male-rape-american-prison-system-racist-rape/
– In Defense of Flogging, Moskos (2013)
– Secular Decline in Testosterone Levels, Mangan (2014) – http://roguehealthandfitness.com/secular-decline-in-testosterone-levels/
– A Country Called Prison, Carl and Looman (2015)
– Young black men dominate Brazil’s crowded prisons, Buenos Aires Herald (2015) – http://www.buenosairesherald.com/article/190887/young-black-men-dominate-brazil%E2%80%99s-crowded-pr
– Does the U.S. Spend $80 Billion a Year on Incarceration?, CRFB (2015) – http://www.crfb.org/blogs/us-spends-80-billion-year-incarceration
– Baltimore Eclipses 2016 Homicide Total, Zero Hedge (2017) – http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-02/deadliest-year-ever-baltimore-eclipses-2016-homicide-total
– What is behind Brazil’s prison crisis?, Long (2017) – https://newint.org/features/web-exclusive/2017/01/30/brazil-prison-violence-overcrowding
– Crime in the United States, Wikipedia – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_the_United_States
– Inmate Age, Federal Bureau of Prisons – https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_age.jsp
– Offenses, Federal Bureau of Prisons – https://www.bop.gov/about/statistics/statistics_inmate_offenses.jsp
– World Prison Populations, BBC – http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/uk/06/prisons/html/nn2page1.stm
The post Myth Of The 20th Century – Episode 47: Lockup – History Of The U.S. Prison System appeared first on Social Matter.
76 episodes available. A new episode about every 7 days averaging 123 mins duration .