#49 – Matthew Walker, Ph.D., on sleep – Part III of III: The penetrating effects of poor sleep from metabolism to performance to genetics, and the impact of caffeine, alcohol, THC, and CBD on sleep
Hmmm there seems to be a problem fetching this series right now. Last successful fetch was on May 19, 2019 09:52 ()
What now? This series will be checked again in the next day. If you believe it should be working, please verify the publisher's feed link below is valid and includes actual episode links. You can contact support to request the feed be immediately fetched.
Manage episode 231341557 series 2352826
In the final part of this 3 part series, Matthew Walker, professor of neuroscience at UC Berkeley and expert on sleep, discusses the omnipresent effects of insufficient sleep on everything from metabolism, appetite, athletic performance, decision-making, productivity, leadership, mental health, genetics, memory, and more. We also discuss the impact of caffeine and alcohol on sleep quality, the efficacy of sleep aids such as THC and CBD, and much more.
- Sleep and insulin resistance [6:15];
- Epigenetic changes with insufficient sleep, and the reversibility of lost sleep [18:00];
- Sleep’s impact on exercise performance, appetite, and food choices [28:15];
- Decision making, workplace production, leadership qualities, physical attractiveness, and more [43:15];
- The broken water pipe analogy [49:30];
- The negative effect of caffeine, alcohol, and high carb meals on sleep quality [53:30];
- The efficacy of THC and CBD as sleep aids [1:05:30];
- Sleep and mental health: A two-way street [1:16:45];
- How sleep impacts memory, and Matthew’s current and upcoming projects [1:24:00];
- Sleep’s impact on athletes: Looking at Formula One drivers [1:32:45]
- Translating the science to clinical application [1:57:00]; and
55 episodes available. A new episode about every 6 days averaging 118 mins duration .