Manage episode 232651700 series 1997584
Welcome to Episode 40 of The Podcast About Division III Baseball. With the second edition of the regional rankings released, we take our first in-depth look at the potential 2019 postseason picture. First, we discuss the important terms to know when discussing postseason resumes of each team, as well as the new format which features SUPER-REGIONALS OMG THIS IS GOING TO BE FUN. Then, we go region-by-region and speculate which teams are in the best position to get at-large bids should they not win their conference tournaments. We go alphabetically, hitting a variety of topics in each region, including:
- Central (at 9:05)
- WashU is basically a lock
- How do we judge Coe?
- Webster vs. Spalding
- Mid-Atlantic (at 13:24)
- NJAC looking like a three-bid conference again
- Johns Hopkins looks pretty safe
- Penn State-Harrisburg is a fun but weird bubble team
- Mideast (at 21:00)
- Why this region is the most challenging to figure out and will likely come down who performs in their conference tournament
- Midwest (at 28:57)
- Concordia-Chicago is a lock
- Whitewater and La Crosse fighting for the second Pool B bid -- Warhawks still have the edge
- New England (at 32:45)
- This is the most loaded region and that is why there are a billion teams ranked
- Trinity (CT) vs. Babson is a fun comparison
- We have no idea why Babson dropped from #1 to #4 but the Beavers should still be fine
- Which teams in the middle of the rankings have a best chance at-large? Will the CCC be a two-bid league?
- New York (at 38:40)
- It ain't pretty, but Cortland should still be pretty comfortably in at-large (if necessary)
- Ithaca is good but low SOS will make at-large tough
- South (at 41:12)
- CNU is a juggernaut but has a weird resume
- Does Rhodes have a shot?
- Disappointing conference tournament showings from Hendrix and Piedmont will make it difficult for them at-large
- West (at 45:30)
- Chapman and Trinity (Texas) looking goooooooooood
- SCIAC tournament will make things very interesting
- Texas Lutheran might be in trouble if they need an at-large bid
...then we say goodbye. Thanks for listening!
Follow us on Twitter @d3baseballpod (DMs are open if you want to reach us there) and @CespedesBBQ.
Send us your best D-III stories or any other comments or questions to email@example.com
Subscribe + rate/review on iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-podcast-about-division-iii-baseball/id1342691759