Manage episode 269071792 series 2509826
Today's guest is Jeremy Thompson, who is Executive Vice President of Huawei UK, and oversees the development of Huawei's UK businesses. Jeremy joined Huawei UK in 2012 as deputy managing director with specific responsibility for carrier strategy, business change, and key customers. Prior to Huawei, Jeremy worked for 20 years in senior management roles, including product leadership and telecoms joint venture development for BT group in the UK and other parts of Europe, including Spain and the Nordics.
Jeremy's also previously worked in the USA and the UK for an IBM software company and consulting businesses.
We spoke at length about Huawei's reaction to the recent UK Government decision to force UK mobile operators to remove all Huawei 5G equipment by 2027.
We also addressed a number of other issues:
- How early generations (1G, 2G, 3G etc) helped form the current 5G standards
- The inherent benefits of 5G for the UK and beyond
- How Jeremy has been leading Huawei through the current crisis
- How Huawei has embraced the Covid-19 lockdown
- What is next for Huawei in the UK
- How the telecoms industry will evolve towards 6G
- How standards are important to drive innovation
- How the current US-China trade war is bad for innovation