Manage episode 229493094 series 2394118
Welcome back to part two of our amazing conversation with Michael Elsner about licensing, how to get your music into TV, films and different mediums, the huge income potential there is around this and why it gets such a bad rap with so much skepticism around it. Michael is a guitarist, singer, songwriter, producer, as well as the creator of The 4 Step Plan to Licensing Success.
During part one of the show, Michael shared a little bit about his background and some of the success that he has had in this industry. We’ve also talked about potential income streams and the importance of choosing the right libraries. On today’s episode, we hear from Michael all about his 4-step process and how we can make licensing work for us. So, for all this and more, keep listening!
Key Points From This Episode:
- Hear about Michael’s 4-step process in detail.
- Step 1 - Building your catalog: writing music you’re passionate about.
- Step 2 - Creating valuable content: Delivering a lot of alternative mixes.
- The difference between tracks and stems.
- Michaels recommendations for anyone wanting to get into licensing their songs.
- Metadata: the descriptive terms that describe what that audio file is.
- Step 3 - Mastering metadata: using very descriptive keywords to describe your songs.
- Step 4 - Getting your music heard: finding the proper end users for your music.
- Four paths to getting your music heard.
- Having consistency over the long term.
- Some good book recommendations from Michael.
- And so much more!
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Michael Elsner — http://www.michaelelsner.com/Home.html
Michael on LinkedIn — https://www.linkedin.com/in/michaelelsner/
Michael on Twitter — https://twitter.com/michaelelsner
Michael on Youtube — https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4Hhg45THp8l6zkih-Wo19g
Master Music Licensing — https://www.mastermusiclicensing.com/
The 4 Step Plan to Licensing Success E-book — https://www.mastermusiclicensing.com/ebook-offer
Everything you Need to know About the Music Business by Donald Passman — https://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-About-Music-Business/dp/1501104896/
The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing — https://www.amazon.com/Plain-Simple-Guide-Music-Publishing/dp/1480354627
This Business of Music — https://www.amazon.com/This-Business-Music-10th-Definitive/dp/0823077233/
54 episodes available. A new episode about every 10 days averaging 36 mins duration .