Manage episode 180317328 series 151259
Manton Reece and whisky-soaked baritone Brent Simmons join the show to talk about JSON Feed, the new spec they co-authored for syndicating things like blog posts and podcasts. We talk about their longstanding mutual interest in [Userland Frontier][f] -- Dave Winer’s groundbreaking scripting environment from the early ’90s -- and how that background and their mutual love for publishing on the open web and the democratization of technology ultimately led to the creation of JSON Feed, as well as their other new projects: Manton’s [Micro.blog][m] publishing platform, and Brent’s new open source Mac app, announced for the first time right here on the show. And of course a brief look ahead to next week’s WWDC 2017.
- Away: High quality luggage with built-in USB chargers. Save $20 with promo code TALKSHOW.
- MailRoute: Hosted spam and virus protection for email. Use this link for 10 percent off for the life of your account.
- Squarespace: Make your next move with a beautiful website. Use code gruber for 10 percent off your first order.
- Fracture: Your photos printed in vivid color directly on glass. Great gift idea.
- JSON Feed
- Micro.blog — Manton’s new publishing platform.
- Evergreen — Brent’s new open source Mac app.
- Userland Frontier.
- Seneca: “The Shortness of Life”.
- Yours truly back in 2009: “Twitter Apps Are a UI Playground”.
- Manton’s old Tweet Library app.
- “App: The Human Story” screening and panel discussion at WWDC 2017
- xkcd’s “We need to develop one universal standard that covers everyone’s use cases!” comic.
This episode of The Talk Show was edited by Caleb Sexton.
211 episodes available. A new episode about every 12 days averaging 132 mins duration .