Manage episode 227125960 series 117027
Some of my favorite interviews are the ones where I feel like I’ve made a new best friend. This one definitely qualifies! Chalene Johnson is a lifestyle and business expert, an amazing speaker, and host of two top-ranked podcasts. You probably know her as the creator and face behind PiYo, a super popular workout program based on pilates and yoga. Chalene is also a New York Times bestselling author and has been named one of the top 50 female entrepreneurs.
Today Chalene shares some of her top advice for living a happier and more balanced life (and ways to appreciate what we already have!). She will be the first to tell you that she’s made mistakes along the way, but they’re ones that turned her on to her current path and have made her a positive force for holistic wellness in the world. Now, with the help of top dietitians, doctors, and researchers, Chalene has created something called “The 131 Method,” which is a personalized nutrition solution, which I love.
While all of this is incredible, what really shines about Chalene is how she values her contributions as a wife and a mother just as much as her professional accomplishments, if not more. If (like me) you’ve ever felt like you’re “not enough,” this episode is one to come back to again and again.
Episode Highlights With Chalene Johnson
- The personal health scare that made Chalene realize her lifestyle wasn’t truly healthy
- The soul-searching that led her to change her views on health
- An introduction to her 131 Method and how to find a nutrition solution that works for your unique body
- Her “secrets” for a strong successful marriage (hint: a lot of hard work!)
- Chalene’s advice for parenting in the teenage years
- A tip for taking care of children’s mental wellness
- Important reasons to let kids fail
- How Chalene learned to balance her career with family priorities
- Her fantastic advice about making progress toward a balanced, sane, healthy mindset
- And more!
“Unfollow everyone on Instagram and Facebook who when you look at their stuff, you just don’t feel as good about your life. Just unfollow them and stop telling yourself that they’re inspirational or, you know, for whatever reason you’re looking at it, if it just in the back of your mind you admit that it gives you this little twinge of like, ‘I’m not enough,’ unfollow them. You’ve gotta protect your mindset and what you’re feeding your brain has so much to do with that.”
Resources We Mention
- 131 Method
- 131 Method: Your Personalized Nutrition Solution to Boost Metabolism, Restore Gut Health, and Lose Weight by Chalene Johnson
- Instagram: @chalenejohson
- The Chalene Show (podcast)
- Build Your Tribe (podcast)
Books Chalene Recommends
- 201 Relationship Questions: The Couple’s Guide to Building Trust and Emotional Intimacy by Barrie Davenport
- Eat That Frog: 21 Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy
- John C. Maxwell books
- Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters by Meg Meeker
- How to Behave So Your Children Will Too by Sal Severe
More From Wellness Mama
- 93: How to Avoid the Most Common Fitness Mistakes Women Make
- 223: Mindset for Moms & Tips to Get More Done & Stress Less This Year
- 227: Using the Metabolism Reset Diet to Support Liver Health
- On Women & Weight: A Manifesto
- The Importance of Balancing Stress Hormones
- Why I Started a Weekly Digital Day Off
Did you enjoy this episode? What other ways do you protect your mindset? Please drop a comment below or leave a review on iTunes to let us know. We value knowing what you think and this helps other moms find the podcast as well.
Thank You to Today’s Sponsors
This podcast is brought to you by Joovv red light therapy. I’ve written about red light therapy before and how it helps support the body and even reduce the signs of aging. My Joovv is part of my daily routine and I love this relaxing 20-minute ritual. I’m getting a mood boost while increasing my collagen and elastin production, improving fat metabolism, assisting with the body’s detoxification reactions, and boosting cellular energy. Here’s how it does all of that: Just like plants convert light energy into chemical energy via photosynthesis, our bodies have the ability to metabolize red and near-infrared light into a form of cellular energy — adenosine triphosphate (ATP) — that is essential to restoring, repairing, energizing, and maintaining our bodies. ATP is often referred to as the “energy currency of life,” which is why light therapy can be so nourishing, healing, and soothing all at the same time. I have and use a combination Joovv light which has two wavelengths for double the benefits, 660 nm for red light and 850 nm for near-infrared light. Both were chosen because the bulk of the scientific literature centers on their benefits, and you can get them separately or together. The 660nm range is better for collagen production and other skin benefits, while the 850 is better for deep tissue issues like muscle recovery, joint discomfort, etc. They now have a Joovv Go, a smaller, less expensive, and just as effective model that can even travel with you for a quick collagen boost for your face or inflammation relief in a sore joint. Learn more at wellnessmama.com/go/joovv
This episode is sponsored by Four Sigmatic, a company whose delicious drink mixes I use daily in some form. I’ve been fascinated lately by the benefits of medicinal mushrooms like Chaga, which has more antioxidants gram for gram than anything else on the planet, so one serving for instance has the same antioxidants as thirty pounds of carrots. Crazy. Cordycepts is another one, which is great for the immune system, Reishi which helps promote restful sleep, and Lion’s Mane which is thought to promote focus and brain health. Four Sigmatic takes these superfood mushrooms and blends them with coffee for a brain boosting jitter free morning drink. They also have a line of delicious elixirs that are caffeine free and great for any time of the day. I almost always end my day with a warm cup of their Reishi, which makes a noticeable difference in my sleep quality and I often begin the morning with a cup of the coffee with Lion’s Mane. My kids love their superfood hot cocoa and I love that it contains Reishi which helps promote calm and sleep! You can check out all Four Sigmatic products at foursigmatic.com/wellnessmama and save 15% with the code wellnessmama.
430 episodes available. A new episode about every 3 days averaging 56 mins duration .