Accessing Your Genius Lounge — How 20 Minutes of Transcendental Meditation Can Change Lives With Bob Roth
Manage episode 265311744 series 2455311
Today I welcome Bob Roth to the podcast. He has been teaching transcendental meditation for the past 45 years, and currently serves as the CEO of the David Lynch Foundation. Bob is also the author of the 2018 New York Times Bestseller Strength in Stillness.
I used to be so-so about meditation and had actually tried several different types – but none of them seemed to stick. When I found TM I loved how easy it was and how calm I felt when done mediatating.
Tune in for a science-packed episode on why and how TM works, what the genius lounge is, and new, compelling reasons to get 20 minutes of meditation in, every day.
Tips, and why TM makes a difference
- There are three different kinds of meditation and they yield different results — Bob Roth explains focused attention (Gamma brain waves), open monitoring (Theta brain waves), and self-transcending (Alpha 1 brain waves).
- Dropping the disorder from Post-Traumatic Stress. PTS leads to insomnia, hyperarousal, anxiety, and chronic depression. And it isn’t only generated through combat.
- TM reboots your prefrontal cortex. When stress activates the fight-or-flight response, your amygdala shuts off your prefrontal cortex. This means you can no longer access executive functions (planning ahead, judgment, sense of self, etc.)
- There are 1,440 minutes in a day — Try waking up 25 minutes early in the morning to get your mediation in.
- Access your genius lounge — Creativity isn’t just art, it is the ability to come up with creative solutions to seemingly intractable problems and it is the product of three distinct networks in the brain: the executive control center, the default mode network, and the salient network.
About Karen Tiber Leland
Karen Tiber Leland is the founder of Sterling Marketing Group, a branding, marketing, and color strategy and implementation firm helping CEOs, executives, and entrepreneurs develop stronger personal, business, and team brands. Her clients include Cisco, American Express, Marriott Hotels, Apple Computer, LinkedIn, and Twitter.
She is also the best-selling author of nine traditionally-published business books that have sold over 400,000 copies and been translated into 10 languages. Her most recent book is The Brand Mapping Strategy: Design, Build, and Accelerate Your Brand. She regularly writes for Inc.com and Entrepreneur.com and has had articles published in Self, The Los Angeles Times, American Way, The Boston Globe, and many others.
Karen has spoken for Harvard, The AMA, Direct Marketing Association, and Stanford, among others. She has been interviewed on The Today Show, CNN, CNBC, and Oprah.
About Our Guest
Bob Roth is one of the most experienced and sought-after meditation teachers in the world. Over the past forty-five years, Bob has taught Transcendental Meditation to many thousands of people, including billionaire CEOs, Hollywood celebrities, combat-scarred veterans, and inner-city youth. He currently serves as the CEO of the David Lynch Foundation and also directs the Center for Leadership Performance. Bob is the host of the SiriusXM radio show, Success Without Stress, and speaks frequently about the science of meditation to industry leaders at such gatherings as Google Zeitgeist, Aspen Ideas Festival, Wisdom2.0, and Summit.
Book: Strength in Stillness: The Power of Transcendental Meditation, by Bob Roth
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma, by Bessel van der Kolk, M.D.
Are you looking to firmly establish your CEO or executive brand, expand your influence, or become more of a thought leader in your field? Consider my personal