Manage episode 216604239 series 1120656
There is a lot of confusion about fasting. Most of the "gurus" are talking about windows of fasting that are between 12 and 16 hours, but these windows are ineffective. Why don’t we get anything out of fasting for that long? Why is it so important to eat on our training days? Why does the real magic happen after the 20th+ hour of fasting?
On this episode, Daniel Kelly and I dispel some of the biggest myths about intermittent fasting, and share how the Metabolic Blowtorch Diet teaches a more effective fasting method.
If you can fast for 30 hours, 3-4 days a week over a 2-4 week period, you will drastically change your body composition, and you won’t lose muscle. -Jay Campbell
Takeaways from this Episode
- Eat on your training days. You want to put as much energy and effort into training as possible so your fasting can work well.
- For max fat loss, you want to add a second cardio session at the peak point of your fast.
- Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) the one of the biggest benefits of fasting. It only comes out about 17+ hours into a fast, so you have to learn to fast longer to maximize your output of BDNF.
- The stubborn areas in our bodies that don’t lose fat easily don’t get really good blood flow.
- At 17-20 hours you start to release catecholamines, which increase blood flow to resistant areas and mobilizes fat.
- If you don’t get enough calories in at the end of your fast, take a multi-spectrum protein shake and MCT oil, or eat a protein rich source that has a good blend of essential fatty acids and green beans.
The current messaging around intermittent fasting is actually making people miss out on a great opportunity to dramatically lose fat. Instead of fasting for 12-16 hours where we get minimal benefits, we need to learn to go over 20 hours. In that zone, our bodies become fat burning furnaces, allowing us to get shredded and lean.
We can't make the mistake of focusing on our numbers, when we should remember that our bodies are about the big picture—especially when we’re trying to drop body fat. So much happens biochemically in the brain during long fasts, and this can also be truly life-changing. In order to see these profound benefits, you've really got to use a longer duration when fasting.
182 episodes available. A new episode about every 5 days averaging 58 mins duration .