Archive this series
Fitness tracking followup, setting goals and how to manage them, aspiring towards Inbox Zero, the benefits of side projects and time scheduling, the manager-self versus the worker-self, and the sensitive plant revisited.
Discuss the podcast on Reddit.
Support the podcast on Patreon.
Fitbit Followup [00:41]
- Previous Fitbit discussion in Episode 06
- The health hazards of sitting
- What sleep tracking apps can and can’t tell you
Are you a goal setting kind of person? [04:38]
- Cortex podcast by CGP Grey and Myke Hurley
- Tom uses OmniFocus for daily task management
- Ped uses Todoist
- Getting Things Done
- Managing your email with Inbox Zero
- Big Rocks First metaphor for scheduling your time
- Time chunking with the Pomodoro Technique
- 7 Ways to Maximize Misery - video by CGP Grey
- And the Reddit discussion
- The Lazy Man’s Guide to Enlightenment by Thaddeus Golas
- Harry Potter’s Pensieve
Drop testing plant memory [35:17]
- Previous discussion of plant memory in Episode 13
- Mimosa pudica, the sensitive plant
- The Secret Life of Plants by Peter Tompkins and Christopher Bird
- Experience teaches plants to learn faster and forget slower in environments where it matters - Gagliano, M., Renton, M., Depczynski, M. et al. Oecologia (2014) 175: 63. doi:10.1007/s00442–013–2873–7
- What are mechanoreceptors?
- Clever Hans and the observer-expectancy effect
- Human memory versus computer memory
Music by Lee Rosevere (CC by 4.0)
19 episodes available. A new episode about every 15 days averaging 56 mins duration .