Manage episode 209061175 series 1402029
We've been building websites for decades, yet each project imposes new challenges when it comes to navigation. Our guest today is Els Aerts — a famous usability expert, speaker, and co-founder of AGConsult. We talk about the core principles behind effective navigation, how to figure out what information deserves the spotlight, and how to avoid common pitfalls. You'll also learn how to deal with navigation challenges in different industries: government websites, ecommerce, and SaaS.
- AGConsult — Els' agency
- Identifying Customer Top Tasks — an article by Gerry McGovern
- Treejack, OptimalSort — tools by Optimal Workshop for tree testing and card sorting
- Balsamiq, Axure, InVision — prototyping tools
- Information Scent — a definition at Optimizely Glossary
- Navigation versus search — Els' article
- GOV.UK — a good website example without top navigation
- Jakob Nielsen, Jared Spool, Gerry McGovern — usability authorities to follow
- CTAConf 2018 — one of the upcoming conferences where Els will give a talk (August 27-29, 2018 in Vancouver, Canada)
- Follow Els on Twitter: @els_aerts
- Get €200 off user research training by AGConsult Academy using promocode UIBREAKFAST (valid until June 31, 2018)
This episode is brought to you by Balsamiq. This super easy-to-use wireframing tool can help you and your team get user interface ideas down before you start coding or sweating the details on fancier tools. Try it free for 30 days at balsamiq.cloud.
Interested in sponsoring an episode? Learn more here.
Leave a Review
Reviews are hugely important because they help new people discover this podcast. If you enjoyed listening to this episode, please leave a review on iTunes. Here's how.
142 episodes available. A new episode about every 10 days averaging 39 mins duration .