Manage episode 200173948 series 2115183
Composer/pianist Sarah Gibson shows us her bag of tricks, plays the melodica, and tells us why she composed a piano piece for just the left hand. Then, we discuss how different concert venues affect our concert-going experience.
Here is a Spotify playlist to pair with Underscore episode #B2! Co-hosts Chrysanthe and Thomas collaborated with our guest Sarah Gibson to curate these tracks based on the conversations, recs, and vibes of this episode.
Composer/pianist Sarah Gibson shows us her bag of tricks, plays the melodica, and tells us why she composed a piano piece for just the left hand.
- Sure Baby, Manana by Sarah Gibson
- and it's spring when the world is puddle-wonderful; Concerto for Left-hand piano by Sarah Gibson
- Outsider by Sarah Gibson, performed by HOCKET ensemble
- Piano Concerto for the Left Hand in D Major by Maurice Ravel (iTunes / Spotify)
- John Cage Prepared Piano app
Lightning Round Questions
- What genre is your music?
Modern collaborative classical
- Performance ritual?
Listening to Yo-Yo Ma playing the Bach solo cello suites, drinking a Coke, and listening to playlist in the car.
- A modern/technological tool that’s extremely helpful to your practice?
iPad + bluetooth pedal; all Sarah’s music is stored digitally, and there are no more awkward page turns!
- What failure that turned out for the best?
Her phone alarm went off during a show. Luckily, it was in the exact right key and added a nice flavor to the piece.
- Something besides music that you’re obsessed with right now?
Her dog and cooking. (Not together.)
- A piece of art that changed your life?
Ceiling of the Paris Opera House, painted by Marc Chagall
How do different concert venues affect the concert-going experience?
Los Angeles Philharmonic's newly-announced 2018-2019 concert season, which features 54 new music commissions, 22 women composers, and 27 composers of color. Article by Brian Lauritzen on the KUSC blog.
Something BorrowedFor All I Care album by The Bad Plus (iTunes / Spotify), especially the song "Semi-Simple Variations."
- Hosts: Thomas Kotcheff and Chrysanthe Tan
- Guest: Sarah Gibson
- Script: Chrysanthe Tan
- Recording engineer/editor: Mark Hatwan
- Produced by USC Radio Group
ConnectFacebook group: Join our Facebook group, Underscore Society, to nerd out on music, tell us your favorite songs, and debate our Counterpoints!
Email list: Sign up for our mailing list to receive Underscore updates, offers, and opportunities to connect with other music aficionados.
Socials: We’re @underscorefm on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Email: Thoughts, questions, suggestions? We’re at email@example.com
Thomas is @thomaskotcheff on Twitter and Instagram.
Chrysanthe is @chrysanthetan on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
4 episodes available. A new episode about every 23 days averaging 37 mins duration .